dartmoor frames (polish company)

warren30
warren30 Posts: 71
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
hi guys still looking for a cheapish enduro am bike to do more downhill stuff loving it,bit on trails still,
as im only 15 funds are limited,been looking around down this way southwest not alot in price range hardtail wise,
went in to my lbs yesterday they have new dartmoor frames which were cheap, i was shown
the dartmoor hornet enduro am bike sounded great for price, £180 frame,which left me with bit money get nice shock (not sure which yet)brakes etc,would take bits of my vengengence ltd ed keep costs down up grade when can.
so just asking has anyone seen or purchased a frame from them and what they thought of them.
when get better upgrade bits again then swap over on to another frame full suss maybe then thats my plan when 18.
there website is DARTMOOR-BIKES.com
thanks for all advice

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I ve never heard of them so can't help, but MTBing is significantly big in Poland so I wouldnt totally discount them...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Pesky Jones has recently posted a Dartmoor Hornet build thread HERE.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • warren30
    cheers guys i havent heard of them before went in shop,checked website out great riding vids on there,
    and some good reviews on net for there frames.
    thanks for thread jba
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Dartmoor started with jump bikes and have done some 4x stuff as well, they have a good rep, not looked at or seen any info on ay FS stuff though.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    The Hornet is a hardtail frame that'll take a 100-150mm fork - looks pretty decent too
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    ...other options you could look at for that price;

On-One 456 Evo or you can still get 2011 NP Snap's for under £200

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    warren30 wrote:
    which left me with bit money get nice shock

Presume you mean fork as the Hornet is a hardtail

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That's what made me think it was an FS!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    My mates got a hornet built up already - I think its a brilliant bike for the money!
  • warren30
    sorry guys yes meant fork as it's hardtail,finding some that would suit bike and my dh stuff,130-140mm they do full suspension frames now too,but
    dont think the shocks are all that by reviews frames get good reviews thou,
    one of the local dh riders just got one to build up to use on dh tracks and gawton.
    thanks felix for other options will have look,think the shop had a nukeproof snap in there
    £200.
    there jump bikes looked good to.could be the company to watch out for in future.
    hi pesky will your mate do dh on it,what fork etc has he got.

cheers macauly
  • pesky_jones
    Yeah our local tracks are FR/DH and he uses it there. I'm going to use mine for FR and DH aswelll. I'd get at least 130mm travel if your looking to do that type of riding. I'm going 150mm on mine most likely with Revelations or maybe a Fox talas with the FIT damper. Bear in mind it's a tapered headtube. In response to your question on my build thread, I will be posting the full build up, I have only got the frame at the minute and am waiting for some other bits before I make anymore posts.
  • felix.london
    Yeah - the Snap's probably outta the equation if you wanna use it for FR/DH - think max travel NP recommend on that frame is 120mm. Hornet looks sweet

Trek Session 8
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I've seen a lot of photos of dartmoor frames cracking on pinkbike, a disproportionate amount. I'd stay away from them personally.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • pesky_jones
    ilovedirt wrote:
    I've seen a lot of photos of dartmoor frames cracking on pinkbike, a disproportionate amount. I'd stay away from them personally.

Hornet frames? To be honest I havn't seen/ heard of one cracking.
  • warren30
    cheers everyone for all the advice,cant wait to get one get it built and ride it.
    hopefully take my riding to next level,ive out grown the carrera riding wise
  • warren30
    had a look at forks yesterday tempted to get marazzochi 55 bomber 140mm for the hornet
    price is £399. fox talas were out price range for build.