mtb prop stand are they worth it if so what ones best ?

CUBEical
CUBEical Posts: 211
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
hi there been thinking of getting a bike stand one that you fix to the bike and can use out and about , i know most people do not bother with them on mountain bikes as they only ride trails but i will be ridding mine on roads , to the city and back, i would like to know of a decent not to expensive one , and how people got on with them if they got one and is it really worth it ? thanks for your time and input
I am sorry if I talk to much s@#t it goes with the name.............

Comments

• rapid_donkey
    rapid_donkey Posts: 448
    You mean one of those stands that attaches to the bike and you kick out and lean your bike on it? I doubt anyone here has one... Just lean it against a wall or lie the bike down on its non drive side.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    Can a mod delete this thread please, It is highly offensive.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For the love of all that is holey NO.

Neither my MTB nor my commuter nor my Retro and not even my Grocery/pub/hack bike have one!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Lmao.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    In the eighties, when we were kids with BMXs, anyone who had one of those stands would have the p*ss ripped out of them mercilessly, and rightly so, lol.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    mine came on the frame.
    img1228av.jpg

any after market ones are total crap though.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    yes fixed, kick stand, 29er and disc brake.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Ask yourself: How can something that adds extra weight, gets in the way of the pedals, invites someone to knock it over and probably scratches the frame possibly be worth paying money for?
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • cooldad
    Ask yourself: How can something that adds extra weight, gets in the way of the pedals, invites someone to knock it over and probably scratches the frame possibly be worth paying money for?
    That sounds like me when I'm on the bike. But I am cheap.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • CUBEical
    i was looking for this post yesterday thought i forgot to post it lol glad i did not re post it , i know allot of you hate them but i do not like propping my bike up, with the risk of it falling over, i will be riding allot in the city and would need to stand it up so would need a stand . people will not be able to kick it over as it will be fixed to something so they wont be able to.
    nicklouse wrote:
    mine came on the frame.
    img1228av.jpg

any after market ones are total crap though.

I am liking this allot, what would you suggest I get then if all after market ones are crap ? any ideas......
    I know you all hating on them but i not got allot of money and i was in the right place at the right time to get what i got, for as cheap as i got. So I would like to take care of it and also re done the paintwork and decals which was not cheap. so it would kill me if i propped it up and t fell over and slid down the post I locked it too. Any one want to give me any serious advice on one to get ? and i do not mean serious advice not to get one lol...... thanks for the responses though :mrgreen:
  • nicklouse
    CUBEical wrote:
    what would you suggest I get then if all after market ones are crap ? any ideas......
    I know you all hating on them but i not got allot of money and i was in the right place at the right time to get what i got, for as cheap as i got. So I would like to take care of it and also re done the paintwork and decals which was not cheap. so it would kill me if i propped it up and t fell over and slid down the post I locked it too. Any one want to give me any serious advice on one to get ? and i do not mean serious advice not to get one lol...... thanks for the responses though :mrgreen:
    i would not as they will all damage a bike that has not been designed for one. they all clamp around or squash the tubes. there is one that does not clamp hard as it uses the seat and chain stay but is crap and falls down to often.

you want a city bike that is designed for what you want to use it for and it will have a suitable stand.

and yes i have fitted most stands that are available to most bikes.

in fact Scott bikes did also have a dedicated mount on some of their frames shame that stand was not that good.
  • cooldad
    And it's a mountain bike. It will get scratched etc. Might as well accept it now and save on anxiety.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • CUBEical
    cooldad wrote:
    And it's a mountain bike. It will get scratched etc. Might as well accept it now and save on anxiety.
    Thanks man , off all the comments you give me and the digs and piss takes the pointing out my flaws this has got to be the best bit of advice you have ever gave me, and to be honest your right ..... :lol: