Chain rub dropout nightmare

rob_mafia
rob_mafia Posts: 136
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello folks I'm gratefully asking for a solution to my headache at the moment this ::--

062B5161-0CBB-4F3D-A60E-9B36703335BF-11894-00000A839F96C859.jpg

How the hell has this happened? I am constructing a new frame (2005 Marin Mount Vision) and basicall got some new stuff and took sold old stuff of my older bike to finish it off, what you're looking at is the chain on last gear (9 Speed) rubbing on the frame/dropout

Now I'm no expert so if you see something obvious that I am missing let me know, this cassette and wheel are basically a straight lift from my old bike, hub is a M-756 and a sram 9 speed cassette, the only thing I can think of doing is putting a washer in between to allow for the chain to move but that can't be right surely, although there are no cable on this bike as of yet I'm assuming tat this isn't the problem.

(on a side note do you have to put a dropout on this even though there is one moulded into the frame?)

Help guys, I know you love a challenge

Cheers

Rob

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like the OLD is too short. this can be due to missing balls in the hub. missing spacers. or just wornout hubs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How snug is the axle in the dropouts, is the rim central in the frame?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rob_mafia
    How snug is the axle in the dropouts, is the rim central in the frame?

Axle is at the top of the dropouts, the wheel seems pretty central, the drive side does move when pinching the QR though, the problem I think is the clearance between the dropout part on the frame and the cassette, I have looked on numerous pictures and there seems to be a distinctive gap, but on this it's pretty much cassette then frame, no gap :?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Post a pic of the hub/cassette/axle out of the bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rob_mafia
    cooldad wrote:
    Post a pic of the hub/cassette/axle out of the bike.

I'll do that.

Upon closer inspection my wheel does seen to be closer to the drive side, could my axle need re spacing? Replacing? I may do the honourable thing and service it and see what the crack is

Picture pending
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Rob Mafia wrote:
    (on a side note do you have to put a dropout on this even though there is one moulded into the frame?)
    Wait a minute... what?

Pictures please of the rear chainstay where the axle sits. I fear something may be amiss. I've never seen an aluminium Marin without a replaceable dropout.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    but does it not mount on the inside so it could look like it is part of the frame as there is one there. but it could be the wrong one and is too thin?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Could be too thin, yes. A few Marins had two steel plates that screw in there. One plate just cups the axle, the other plate also has the mech hanger on it.
    what I suspect is that (if it's that kind of dropout), one of the plates may be missing.
  • rob_mafia
    Ahem, right ok this is probably the point where I admit to being a total noob! I will embrace public humiliation and learn from my mistakes! In my rush to get my bike built I haven't even put a dropout on! But should I have 2 then? Here's some pics anyway,

E680C793-24BC-4119-ABAF-EA56BBDEC149-121-00000002D5318939.jpg

6D92C5C8-701F-4A79-99E9-FC28E7EA3869-121-00000002DDB9273A.jpg

And here is my cassette and axle

E9C026ED-56EC-4241-ABC8-11579BCF64FF-121-00000002CCF06F81.jpg

After you have finished laughing would you be able to link where to get the dropouts from please and which ones I may need

Thanks

Rob
  • challengedavid
    challengedavid Posts: 273
    edited June 2013
    that lock ring/cassette does not look right

have you taken the cassette off, is there a spacer on the inside that could be removed?
  • rob_mafia
    I believe it's dropout 113 that I need, and does it fit on the inside of the frame therefor getting rid of the chain rub?

I feel so silly.....
  • rob_mafia

It's not tightened mate, I kept it loose for when I service the axle and bearings, well spotted though
  • rob_mafia

have you taken the cassette off, is there a spacer on the inside that could be removed?

No, the spacer has to be there otherwise the cogs would be too close together
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Rob Mafia wrote:

It's not tightened mate, I kept it loose for when I service the axle and bearings, well spotted though
    What? You keep it loose? WHY?

Right, the dropout is present and correct, it's not the same design as I had thought may have been causing the problem.
    However, there is very little (if any) clearance between the cassette lockring and the end of the axle. Now, usually, that means that the axle has been built up incorrectly, but since you've already said that the cassette lockring is not tight, well, that's your problem right there.
  • rob_mafia
    It was loose purely so I can service the hub and axle, it's a bitch to keep tightening and undoing so I left it loose before venturing into doing the hub/axle in case it was necessary to do anything with it, I would tighten it normally, I'll rebuild the hub and axle, I've never done it before but I'll give it a bash, what could possibly go wrong !!

So do I not need to buy a dropout hanger then?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    No, the dropout is there, you can see it attached to the frame by two screws, from the inside (wheel side) of the swingarm.
    It might be the case that simply tightening the cassette lockring would solve the issue.
    Get the right tools, for a few quid, and tightening/undoing the cassette is a doddle.
  • rob_mafia
    I believe I may have found the problem, I have serviced the hub taken all bearings out and cleaned and regressed the whole thing, it does however appear that the axle spacers ( and a couple extra small ones ) were on the wrong end, this meant that the cassette end of the axle wasn't coming through at all and was short, I've ordered a new axle assembly kit just to make sure I have everything I need and I can start fresh.

I'm not claiming responsibility for building the axle wrong, I bough a mavic 717 and it was already in, thankyou for your helps guys I appreciate it, I'll soon be asking if I get stuck!!