07 Yeti 575 Pivot bearing removal

davenewcastle1973
davenewcastle1973 Posts: 146
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I've undertaken the task of replacing all the pivots and bearings on my 575 after the swingarm developed a nasty lateral movement.

All of them have come out easily except the actual pivot bearings (the large red ones...). I have tried teasing them with a hammer and a socket set but they appear to be stuck fast.

Does anyone have any tips on getting these out? I have found the yeti user manual with the exploded diagrams which is great to see how they go back together, but not so good on getting them out.

Once I get these out, all I have to do is try and source a master rebuild kit. Yetifan.com has been ridiculously helpful but these things are like rocking horse poo....

Any help would be very gratefully received

Dave
Ragley mmmBop
Yeti 575

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Without being able to see anything it is very hard to sugest anything.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I would, but struggling to see how to post pictures. I've taken them with the iPad and am using the browser on there now...

It would appear that it's not just bearings that fox me!

If you can advise how to do this I will get some pics up..

Thanks
    Ragley mmmBop
    Yeti 575
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Read the FAQ's - top right.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 9040773941_b581a78b50.jpg

9040773785_5c5f17ddd0.jpg

9040773503_21d1c4ba4a.jpg

I hope this lets you see what you need to, the bearings are seized in there, and with the carbon chainstay I'm reluctant to start smacking it with a hammer!
    Ragley mmmBop
    Yeti 575
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You could just destroy them and lever them out in bits.
    Or support the ends and drift them out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    was there a threaded cover on the out side?

and talk about small pictures.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Small pictures?

No, there was a pin/axle that fed through the hole and was effectively a big bolt connection male to female,,
    Ragley mmmBop
    Yeti 575
  • nicklouse
    Small pictures?

No, there was a pin/axle that fed through the hole and was effectively a big bolt connection male to female,,

can see bugger all.

so what are the grooves that I can see on the out side of the bearing house?

or is it just crud as you have not got round to cleaning them yet?
  • That's just crud, no grooves...

I've had a go at destroying as per Cooldad's suggestion and I've managed to get nowhere, I think I'll nip down to the lbs in the morning...
    Ragley mmmBop
    Yeti 575