mtb fat small wheel improvements?

andyh01
andyh01 Posts: 599
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, I recently brought a new road bike for a 10 mile round trip commute, unfortuantly it's back at the lbs for repairs (faulty shifter covered under warrenty) so I'm back on the old mountain bike. I also commte year round come rain or snow, so it's handy to have an extreme bad wheather bike when the slick 700c roadie isn't any use. Ideally I want tourning size wheels but as spare bike don't want spend anything on it. I have two mtb bikes one has better parts, gears are higher and 8 speed rapid fire V brakes (the other spins out on my commute and is only 7 stwist speed) but the other has a better frame, (the other bike has a crack in the frame) so when I get my road bike back I'm going to transfer the bits off one and put them on the other uncracked frame if I can (I think the front cranks are different so not sure if will fit) however both bikes have the small fat dumpy wheels that make it very slow, is there anything I can do to improve the rolling resistance and make it quicker/easier to pedal without having to upgrade the wheels or spend loads as it is only ever going to be used sparingly? Could I put slicker tyres on for instance?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yes you could.
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    Will it make that much difference and what size could I get it down too? I guess I would also need new inner tubes?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Depends what size you want.

26" or 559 x 1.5" would work well and fit most rim widths.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    if you have a 700c wheel see if the mtb frame will take it (you need a touring rear wheel or buy a 135mm hub and make the rear)

i got some mavic adaptors and run an old mtb as a s/s road bike

pauls components make brakes that fit but you need to sit down when looking at the price

works well and king chav is not interested... double win :lol:

IMAG0132_zps920f0e61.jpg