Bike Commute - Chorlton to Leigh

straas
straas Posts: 338
edited August 2014 in Commuting chat
Long shot I know, but has anyone any experiance of this route?
Looking at gmaps I've provisionally plotted a route through Stretford, past the trafford centre using those big off road cycle lanes, then toward worsley, through Boothstown and toward Leigh.

Easing myself back into cycling after an 8 month absense and depressingly a 14 odd mile commute each way is seeming rather far!

Luckily I now have showers at work, and they're fine with me keeping the bike indoors :-)
FCN: 6

Comments

• straas
    Just a bump,

Havn't used my bike in a good while now :-/
  • no idea about directions in Greater Manchester but I had barely cycled in 30 years and was faced with a 20 mile commute. Initially I could only do 3 days a week but soon got used to it. I reckon a commuting mile is worth 1.5 normal miles due to the stop start nature of the ride so eat more and MTFU.
  • gingaman
    gingaman Posts: 576
    Hey straas, according to google maps you can sit on the canal towpath for a large proportion of that route, if you have the correct tyres etc. for the conditions
  • straas
    Thanks for the replies

Unfortunately at the moment I have the choice of a road bike, or my pub bike.

I don't think the pub bike would be comfortable after a few miles (I picked it up for £15), and from memory the canal paths require a mountain bike, it's a real shame they can't resurface them all and take advantage of what would be some really great cycling ways.
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    You'll be fine. 14 miles soon becomes very easy indeed.

Have you considered going through Urmston, Carrington, then over the river at Warburton?

It's a touch further but you're going to get whacked by a lorry cycling round trafford park eventually.