Advise needed

Sportif newbie
Sportif newbie Posts: 17
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Hello all, i have a question for you. I have got into my cycling over the last year and have now thrown myself into it, however i feel a little let down by the shop who sold me a 58" framed bike when im only 5ft 9. I only realised it was too big after a few months of riding it, by then it was too late to take it back. I was just thinking could i buy a new frame thats smaller and sell my old one and transfer the gears, brakes ect ect over??

I paid £650 for the Sportif 2012 and spent about 300 on pedals, shoes and other bits, if so what frame would be good to go for ???

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Any that fits.

What Budget? What style? What price range? What Material?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Sell the whole bike and buy a smaller one.
    Take it back into the lbs and ask about options to swap.

Buy a second hand frame and swap the bits around - but that leaves you with a 58 frame that may be more difficult to shift.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    bloody hell, incredible! hope you get it sorted.
  • smidsy wrote:
    Any that fits.

What Budget? What style? What price range? What Material?

Thing is I'm so new to biking I really don't know what to get. I'm into road biking and I have a budget of about £200-£300 as for material I have no idea for either make or model.

Any suggestions?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Is that £2-300 on top of your current 58cm bike? Or is that the bike itself?
    Was the 58cm bike new when you bought it?
  • The frame is 58cm which is way to big for me. Whatever I can get for the frame ill add to getting a new one.
  • RiderUk
    RiderUk Posts: 71
    Just to clarify, the bike was a new from an authorsied dealer?
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    Don't know what frame, but I would be looking at a 54, I am 5ft9, and a 54cm is great, can't help more than that, hope you get sorted though
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • RiderUk wrote:
    Just to clarify, the bike was a new from an authorsied dealer?

Yes it came from my local bike shop brand new.
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    KevChallis wrote:
    Don't know what frame, but I would be looking at a 54, I am 5ft9, and a 54cm is great, can't help more than that, hope you get sorted though

This isn't very helpful. While a 58 certainly sounds too big for you, different manufacturers size their frames differently, so a 54 by one brand might be the same size as a 56 by another, and a 52 by a third manufacturer.

Most relatively cheap bikes aren't available as a frame-only option, so you might struggle to find a smaller frame to swap your current parts on to without spending a fair bit. If you do splash out an get a nicer frame, then you probably wouldn't want to put the relatively low-end parts from your current bike on it. I therefore agree that the best option is to sell it or trade it in and get a complete new bike.
  • smidsy
    Or make an offer on this.

viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=12924462#p18345375

Great frame and likely to be a good size for you.

Should be able to get it in your budget.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • I would of snapped your arm off to have it, if it was white. All my gear is white.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    You need advice.

We can advise you.

Get a smaller frame and a better dictionary :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • team47b wrote:
    You need advice.

We can advise you.

Or maybe you should get a life. Thanks for pointing out my spelling is awful DICK. It's only all my life I've had to deal with being dyslexic, but hey thanks for that.
  • dmclite-3.0
    dmclite-3.0 Posts: 845
    team47b wrote:
    You need advice.

We can advise you.

Or maybe you should get a life. Thanks for pointing out my spelling is awful DICK. It's only all my life I've had to deal with being dyslexic, but hey thanks for that.

Sweet baby jeezuz, 10 posts in and you're kicking off, you'll fit right in here. mind you, you still need to get your frame to fit...theres a joke there, somewhere... :wink::D
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    team47b wrote:
    You need advice.

We can advise you.

+1

It is not spelling, it is knowing the difference between two different words.
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    I would have snapped your arm off to have it, if it was white. All my gear is white.
    Jeez, you make a complete mess of buying your bike, then come and ask for help saying you want it all for nothing, someone finds you a frame and you quibble about the colour! You really are not in a position to be so picky with your budget. Also have you factored in the cost of transferring the components from one frame to another, I have my doubts you will be doing that yourself, or are you saying you were daft enough to buy the wrong size bike, but can manage to carry out a full component strip and rebuild.
  • smidsy
    White goes with anything.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • lc1981
    edited June 2013
    You've not really been that clear about your budget, but if it's £200-300 for the new bike rather than an upgrade, I would get this.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Hard not to agree with the majority of posts here. You would probably be better off just selling your current bike and buying another one that is the right size (probably a 54 but could be a 52/56). Now you are a bit more knowledgeable then going 2nd hand is a good way forward. You might get £400 for your current bike which would get a very decent 2nd hand one. I swapped bike sizes by selling/buying off ebay and got an fantastic Allez Elite with brand new Aksiums (and I had £100 cash left over)... but I accepted that going from a 2010 bike to a 2008 one was the trade off. Also, you do need to be less picky about colours as you are not in the brand new/decent bike territory and, yes, white does go with everything.

Now, lighten up. Folks who finish tongue in cheek posts with a smiley are doing that to let you know that no harm is meant. If you get out on a club run then you will quickly learn to adapt to the differences between some senses of humour, specially when the first big hill rolls up.
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    As others have said, different manufacturers size their bikes differently. Sometimes they're quite far out.

I'm 5'10" and ride a 56 Trek and will be riding a 54 Scott as well.

To give you an idea of what size you need I'd suggest using this http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO. The most important measurement to take from that for a new bike/frame is the top tube.
  • NewTTer wrote:
    I would have snapped your arm off to have it, if it was white. All my gear is white.
    Jeez, you make a complete mess of buying your bike, then come and ask for help saying you want it all for nothing, someone finds you a frame and you quibble about the colour! You really are not in a position to be so picky with your budget. Also have you factored in the cost of transferring the components from one frame to another, I have my doubts you will be doing that yourself, or are you saying you were daft enough to buy the wrong size bike, but can manage to carry out a full component strip and rebuild.

Your right I did make a mess of buying my bike, but as a newbie you do up an element of trust in the retailer to sell you the right bike, not just the most expensive one. (It's a small shop). I know cannondale is a really good make and am very thankful for the offer but there will be others. The thing is I do have options so I can be picky, all you need to do is look around a bit and you will find one either in my budget or, most likely to be over.
  • Hoopdriver wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    You need advice.

We can advise you.

+1

It is not spelling, it is knowing the difference between two different words.

LOVE IT !!!
  • smidsy wrote:
    Or make an offer on this.

viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=12924462#p18345375

Great frame and likely to be a good size for you.

Should be able to get it in your budget.

I might just look around a bit but wish I saw this one last year hahaha
  • smidsy
    Just to clarify it is not me selling it, just that I have been trying to buy it for a while, but so far have been unable to agree a price that the seller found acceptable.

It is a nice frame and I will buy it if and when the seller comes round to my mindset.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • lc1981
    Smidsy, have you seen this on eBay?
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    team47b wrote:
    You need advice.

We can advise you.

Sorry for the late reply, was out enjoying my life of leisure in the sun :D

Dyslexic or not, get a fcucking sense of humour whilst you are out getting a new bike :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • smidsy
    lc1981 wrote:
    Smidsy, have you seen this on eBay?

Can not view ebay on works machine.

How much and any pics?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • andyd77
    andyd77 Posts: 27
    team47b wrote:
    You need advice.

We can advise you.

calm down, learn to use spell check and don't come asking for help then start to go off on one - just ignore if it bothers you.