£650 to spend on cyclescheme

zedzed
zedzed Posts: 55
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

Beginner MTB'er here, been out on a few XC trails with a friend on his spare bike (2009 Spec. Rockhopper I think), and loving it. Nothing too scary, but on proper cycle trails through woods/down hills etc.

I've got £650 to spend on a bike via "cyclescheme" (so no Halfords bikes), and having spent a week or 2 researching things, and it seems that the RR 8.1 has the best spec at my price point : http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-81-2012-mountain-bike-grey-id_8168918.html

It's got:
Rock Shox RECON Silver TK 100 mm fork Remote Lock-Out
SRAM X - 7 Front derailleur
SRAM X - 7 Rear derailleur
Push pull Sram X7 levers.
Shimano Deore bottom bracket M590 22x32x44
SRAM PG950 11x32 9-speed cassette
Avid ELIXIR 3 hydraulic disc brakes, 160 mm rotors[/list]

I can't find any well known brands that matches that spec. for my max. of £650 - which is actually £100 more than the RR @ £550!

I was wondering - is there any logic in getting something like the Cube Attention or Spec. Rockhopper instead? Perhaps they have a better frame but worse components (?) - but would be a better long term investment as I could upgrade the components as they wear out? (vs. running the RR for 3 years, selling it and buying a better bike again?).

I guess what I'm really asking is - if you had £650 to spend on a (non-Halfords) bike, what would you buy and why?!

Thanks for any advice,
Dez

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The frame on the RR is just as good as the other two you mentioned. I would stick with better bits.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    +1, Not had a cube frame, but the Rockhopper frame of the same size I had was the same year as my Carrera frame and weighed the same, nothing better about it other than the logo on the side!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I'm more of a roadie myself but son's just bought himself a Cube Analog 29er from Hargroves, he loves it, it looks really good, rides really well and spec seems good compared to some others. He was somewhat limited to where he could get from though as he got it on 0% finance.
  • zedzed
    Ok ... I've ditched cyclescheme (for various reasons).

Looking at the Boardman Team HT at the moment (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65499#tab2) it's got 15% off and I think another 10% off with british cycling (although £15 for membership).

I make it £722.50 * 0.9 = £650 + £15 = £675. That's £200 off RRP.

Is this worth it vs. Rockhopper 8.1 (which is just over £100 cheaper)??

Thanks in advance.
  • dmont
    dmont Posts: 74
    You'll not go wrong with either of them. I'd go boardman for the looks, but that's personal choice.
    Riding - Voodoo Bantu
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    yep, I'd go Boardman too, they are great bikes. 120m travel is a bonus for more all round trail riding too.
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    With that discount you can't beat the Boardman, they are great bikes for the money even at list price!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • boyse7en
    boyse7en Posts: 59
    IS the Boardman better than this?

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/44935/For ... -Bike.html

Not heard of the brand, but the Frame is Kenisis, and the wheels look like a quality pair and are very light

EDIT: It's actually £799 if you buy it from Rutland's eBay site
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I'd stick to the Boardman because I know that the frame is pretty nice.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Crooksy
    Crooksy Posts: 1
    I haven't looked for your needs but have you checked the discounts that CRC are offering at the moment? Check the link out

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Sear ... scountDESC
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Forme is great value for Money, though a very XC bike.

I believe you get £50 off at checkout somehow as well....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • boyse7en
    boyse7en Posts: 59

I believe you get £50 off at checkout somehow as well....

10% off when you spend £500 or more

CODE: 10CYCLE

Offer ends 30/06/13

For a limited time we are giving you a massive 10% off your basket when you spend £500 or more. Just enter the code at checkout.

* Offer can’t be used in conjunction with interest free credit.
    * Offer excludes gift vouchers and ex-hire goods.
    * We reserve the right to end the offer early.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695

The OP is a beginner mountain biker. The Forme may be good value but both you and SS have commented on it being very XC - I presume steep head angle and maybe a bit twitchy.

Wouldn't a slightly more relaxed bike be better for a beginner, even if the parts bolted on arent quite as high spec? Can't help thinking the Boardman is still the best answer here.
  • zedzed
    As the "op" I'm not really sure what the difference is with an "XC" bike?

I do some (what I'd call) "simple" trails like this: http://www.callendarestate.co.uk/things ... es/route-3
    No jumps - just trail path up/down hill with some tight turns and the occasional bridge. No jumps per se. I've been using my friends bike for that (see OP).

I also cycle along Canal paths (50/50 dirt/gravel-paved). My last cycle was a 2 hour 40Km run from Glasgow to Falkirk. I was using my rockrider 5.1 for that (£100 bike from decathalon). Had it 1 year and it's OK - but I wouldn't take it on the trails - I don't like the twist shift gears much, no suspension etc. I'm going to keep that bike as the "out with the family" bike though!

So - based on the above is the Forme too "XC" for me? Boardman still best bet?

p.s. I can up my budget to £800. Just shhhh, don't tell the wife :)
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    I started on the Boardman Comp last year as a beginner, it gave me loads of confidence. I would say its perfect for what you want!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2