Frame powder coating

Barrzy257
Barrzy257 Posts: 411
edited June 2013 in Road general
I'm having a frame powder coated, but unsure of what to go for. It's for my commute/winter bike but I'd still like a nice look. I've been thinking mirror black, as I'll be running sram apex and that's the finish, but someone has suggested bare aluminium with a clear coat, which also looks great! Any opinions? Cheers

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    deciding on whether you want a dark colour or a light colour would be a start...
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Matt black with black gloss graphics looks cool
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • Barrzy257
    Barrzy257 Posts: 411
    I had thought I'd already decided, until the bare alu was mentioned! I'm not sure on the Matt finishes for frames, mirror black frame and Matt decals.
    Anyone recommend a place for good decals?
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    For a commuter satin black will be the most practical option.
    Gloss finish will show scratches, matt will be a nightmare to keep clean.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Barteos wrote:
    For a commuter satin black will be the most practical option.
    Gloss finish will show scratches, matt will be a nightmare to keep clean.

Marks/scratches on gloss will polish out nicely. Marks on matt or satin you are stuck with forever. Gloss every time. Anyway, there are much nicer colours than black available!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Was thinking matt black for my single speed with red componentry.

Now I am also thinking about the bare alu look with no decals and some nice deep rim wheels with red decals on them.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    Barrzy257 wrote:
    Anyone recommend a place for good decals?

http://doityourselflettering.com/

Couldn't recommend these guys enough if you wanted custom decals. I also went down the powder coating route for my winter bike, and wanted some custom decals made up. I sent them an email with a tiny picture of the logo I wanted, and they designed it from there exactly to my specifications. They are US based but shipping only takes a week or two.