Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
Radon ZR 27.5 Race
Btwin Alur700
Merida CX500

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I need a dropper but has to have a 150mm drop.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Doesn't come with bleed kit. Pretty useless without it so factor in another 30 quid.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Check Planet X £180 today.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Has to have?
    How come?
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    can you buy 150mm drop reverbs yet? I'd like one
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    dusk wrote:
    can you buy 150mm drop reverbs yet? I'd like one

only in stealth form and tbh, unless you're super tall, can't see why you'd need 150mm drop, 125mm is plenty!
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    I think the new 2014 spec Stealth models are coming with a quick release one way hose that doesn't need bleeding
  • YeehaaMcgee
    One way hose? You mean a hose with a one-way valve?
    How is that going to work?
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    One way hose? You mean a hose with a one-way valve?
    How is that going to work?

Yes. Pretty standard in engineering. It means you can install the stealth reverb without bleeding it when you reattach the hose.
  • bennett_346
    Yeah Formula were the first to introduce it on their brakes and i believe the Reverb is following. I'd find a link or photo but i cba lol.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    But, the fluid needs to flow both ways, no? That's what I don't understand.
    press the button, fluid moves a little down the pipe and triggers the post. Release the button and... Non return valve means the mechanism stays triggered. I don't follow!
    same with brakes, you need that fluid to return from the calliper to the master cylinder (well, hose, but you know what I mean). With a non return valve, once you apply the brakes, they'd remain applied, surely.
    There's got to be something I'm missing.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Rockshox are calling it the Connectamajig, it's coming on 2014 Reverb Stealths. I imagine it will be similar to the dry break connectors for hydraulic brake lines used by endurance racers.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Oh, you just mean like the quick connect hydro hoses used on hydraulic tools and the like?
    if so, that's not a one way valve, it's just a, well, valve!
    Ideal for internal routing, but no advantage if you need to cut the hose down.

(i still don't see any advantage at all to a hydraulically operated dropper post over a cable operated, but that's a different story for another day)
  • But, the fluid needs to flow both ways, no? That's what I don't understand.
    press the button, fluid moves a little down the pipe and triggers the post. Release the button and... Non return valve means the mechanism stays triggered. I don't follow!
    same with brakes, you need that fluid to return from the calliper to the master cylinder (well, hose, but you know what I mean). With a non return valve, once you apply the brakes, they'd remain applied, surely.
    There's got to be something I'm missing.

when you connect the male and female fittings together, the seals of the valves in both fitting are broken, creating an uninterrupted flowpath.

when the fitting are disconnected, the seals/valves close airtight on both the male and female fittings, which allow the pipes to be split.

not 'one way valves' more commonly know as quick disconnect couplings (or similar lol)

very much simlar to hydraulic and air systems on heavy plant/trucks etc...

edit... i see you figured it now! :P
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222

(i still don't see any advantage at all to a hydraulically operated dropper post over a cable operated, but that's a different story for another day)

As the OP who has recently purchased a cable operated dropper post I'm happy for the topic to digress slightly!
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412

As far as I can tell it's just meant to make the initial installation easier with internal routing.
  • felix.london
    Has to have?
    How come?

because I have long legs I guess...gotta 125mm on the Rockhopper and it's not enough drop for me to slam the seat all the way down (about 25mm short) and my new AM frame has a shorter seat tube (25mm shorter than the 'hopper) so I need at least a 150mm to achieve the same saddle height to drop ratio - a 175mm drop would be ideal!

Trek Session 8
  • bennett_346
    Oh, you just mean like the quick connect hydro hoses used on hydraulic tools and the like?

Only advantage i can really think of is weight. I think i'm right in saying that a fluid line is lighter than a same-length metal cable run? Other than that it's just fussy and adds expense imo.
  • felix.london

Only advantage i can really think of is weight. I think i'm right in saying that a fluid line is lighter than a same-length metal cable run? Other than that it's just fussy and adds expense imo.

My Reverb has performed perfectly since I bought it (with no bleed kit required...yet) but I'd take a decent, cheap cable operated dropper over the hydraulic variety for the new build I reckon...especially if it had a 160mm drop :wink:

Trek Session 8