A huge favour to ask from a TT owner in / near Sittingbourne

dragonontheedge
dragonontheedge Posts: 496
edited June 2013 in Road general
They say 'if you don't ask you don't get. Well here goes.

I am signed up to ride to Paris for the Demelza House children's Hospice next April 2014.

I have just paid to have a stall at the Borden Fete on Saturday 22.06.13. I will be displaying my road bike but was hoping to make a real splash by displaying a full on TT bike. This is the favour bit, is anyone in the Sittingbourne area willing to loan me their TT for the day? A tall order I know but it is for a very good cause.

I guarantee that the bike won't be ridden and neither will it leave my sight all day. I will provide numerous proofs of address and will make sure it's fully insured. I would collect on the day of the fete and return it immediately after.

I am a responsible almost 50 year old lawyer and utterly trustworthy.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks in advance

Al
Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,614

Oxymoron surely?!?!? ;)

I can't help you but Good Luck!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:

Oxymoron surely?!?!? ;)

I can't help you but Good Luck!

LOL Normally I would agree to that but I am, er...........special !
    Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106

To think you were doing so well and then you had to say this! :lol:

TO be honest I think most people would have been scared until they read the 'it wont be ridden' part.

Good luck!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I'd let you borrow mine... if I was local... and I wasn't riding a TT that day... :P

Good luck.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Like I said absolutely no interest in riding it. My soul interest is attracting fete goers to my stall so I can relieve them of cash. Cake sales and guess the mileage of the ride competitions are the order of the day.
  • Grill wrote:
    I'd let you borrow mine... if I was local... and I wasn't riding a TT that day... :P

Good luck.

Thanks for the kind thought mate, it's much appreciated. Good luck with your TT !
  • muzzan
    muzzan Posts: 203
    Well Im absolutely nowhere near sittingbourne, & dont own a TT bike, but I have a suggestion...

If you have some bike shops near you they may be able to let you have a bike for the w/e? I know some near me do this for a cost if you are wanting to try one out before buying. As its for charity you may be able to persuade them to do it FOC for some free good publicity?

You may well be well ahead of me here, but good luck with it.
  • That is a very good idea.

I will speak with my LBS.

Thank you
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Sorry can't help but was born and raised in sittingbourne, went to Borden school and know the worthy demelza group... Good luck with your venture
  • Come on, there must be someone from one of the big companies reading this who can help!?!? Wiggle???? Evans????
  • I had reservations about posting this thread, i thought I would be laughed at. I am truly bowled over by all your support and good wishes.

Mikey23, its good to hear from you. I lived at Danaway and my daughter went to Borden Primary. We now live off of Bell Road near Fulston Manor. Where were you based, and more importantly, how did you escape from sittingbourne ? :D

Demelza is a great cause. They were there for my nephew and niece when their father passed away. I have been totally drawn in by Demelza and have invested countless hours in raising cash for them. I have never done anything like this before and yet Iam totally committed. So far I have concentrated on selling teas and coffees at my Son's football training nights and away games. Its been hard work but I have raised more than I ever expected. If fundraising carries on as it has been I will exceed my target easily.

Thank you once again for all your support.
  • kilo
    kilo Posts: 174
    Sorry nowhere near Sittingbourne but why not try posting on tt forum;

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/

they are a fairly friendly bunch there
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    Have a word with Richard at Victory Cycles in Rainham. He used to (and may still) have a very nice TT bike that was occasionally used by other people. Failing that he might be able to put you in touch with one of the local TT enthusiasts - there are a few in both Medway Velo and Wigmore who have some nice kit. (Bikes I mean - the Wigmore jerseys are atrocious.)
  • Blatant Bump :D
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @dragontheedge... Was born and raised on the Canterbury road estate, longridge off swanstree avenue, passed 11 plus and walked daily to the grammar school. Joined the civil service and got posted away first to Leicester then to Cornwall. Brother still lives in wadham place. We have children's hospice sw down here which is an equally deserving cause but did some fund raising when demelza was being set up
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    @dragontheedge... Was born and raised on the Canterbury road estate, longridge off swanstree avenue, passed 11 plus and walked daily to the grammar school. Joined the civil service and got posted away first to Leicester then to Cornwall. Brother still lives in wadham place. We have children's hospice sw down here which is an equally deserving cause but did some fund raising when demelza was being set up

Small world !

I used to live over in Woodberry Drive and went to St Johns. My Wife now works at what was Rowena but is now called the Sittingbourne Community College. My son walks to Borden Grammar each day and my daughter to Highsted Grammar.

I for my part failed the 11 + but managed to pull myself up by my boot strings, albeit not to far hence being a lawyer :D

Nice one with the funding raising ! Gives you a warm glow doesn't it !
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,453
    The LBS approach may well be a good idea especially if you could put a sign up along the lines of "bike supplied by....." and all their details, it would be free advertising for them.
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    I am Based over the water from you in Essex, so a bit of a trek, however if you get very stuck you can borrow my Cannondale Slice, I have no events on that day
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    Can't offer a bike personally but I've contacted a few people who are local and might be able to help.

Good luck!
  • NewTTer wrote:
    I am Based over the water from you in Essex, so a bit of a trek, however if you get very stuck you can borrow my Cannondale Slice, I have no events on that day

Hello. Thanks for the offer. Logistics will be a problem ulnfortunatley. Dropping off after would be ok but picking up would be a prolem.

Thank you anyway, your offer is really appreciated. Shame really, the Slice is a cracking looking bike.

Al
  • pipipi wrote:
    Can't offer a bike personally but I've contacted a few people who are local and might be able to help.

Good luck!

Thanks for that pipipi, I appreciate that.

I spoke with my LBS, The Bike Warehouse in Faversham during the week. They have put the word out but in the meantime they have leant me a super rare book on Wiliers for me to display. In their words everyone likes paging through books. Thats a great start. I will pick the book up later and will spend the week 'vetting' it. :D

Thanks again for all your offers and ideas.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    That's a very kind offer from NewTTer, a shame you're unable to accept. I can't use my 'now there's a slice of luck' pun. :oops: Probably just as well, it's terrible.
  • That's a very kind offer from NewTTer, a shame you're unable to accept. I can't use my 'now there's a slice of luck' pun. :oops: Probably just as well, it's terrible.

Damn right re NewTTer (and your pun).

It looks like my LBS can lay their hands on a carbon frame which will be great to display. Not exactly what I had in mind but interesting all the same and a chance for another competition, guess the weight. i am still holding out for a TT bike but at least I have a plan B.

I bought some rollers yesterday and have cracked using those so some demos are in order as well.

Just need someone to lend me some decent weather now.