Superstar Tesla Hub

peter413
peter413 Posts: 5,120
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Didn't quite know wether to post this in buying advice or here so apologies if I have placed this thread wrongly.

It's about time the Rocky got treated to a new back wheel, the current one has started breaking spokes through fatigue and the hub has always been a little heavy for my liking. Looking at the Superstar Tesla 150mm hub to build up onto an MTX 33 or something. Anyone have any experience with them, there are a few people that have had problems but others seem to love them, others seem to think they are the old DMR Six Pawl hub.

Ideally, has anybody got a picture of the inside of the freehub so I can see what pawl and ratchet system is being used, there are some I would never buy again so want to check it isn't a system I hate.

I would buy a Hope Hoops but the only white rim available is the Flow EX and I don't quite trust one on the rear yet, especially at places like Fort William, mostly for ding resistance but also a little for strength since the rear takes a right pasting sometimes. No problems running one on the front though so I will be getting a Hope Hoop when I get a new front wheel. I don't really like 721's either if I'm honest so even if I could get over the fact they were black, I wouldn't want one. Pro II's are a little too expensive to buy separately since I want to keep the whole wheel under £200, ideally less.

Comments

• Hi

I've just got the hope pro 2s with flow ex rims and there getting delivered on Friday I got the Front and Rear fully built for £380 from a place up north called cycle fast there's a guy there called Dave and he's really helpful ( cheap ).

http://www.cycle-fast.co.uk/cfb2b/

Please try him as he can build you all most anything.

Hope this helps.

Ash
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Hi

I've just got the hope pro 2s with flow ex rims and there getting delivered on Friday I got the Front and Rear fully built for £380 from a place up north called cycle fast there's a guy there called Dave and he's really helpful ( cheap ).

Hope this helps.

Ash

Not quite sure what that has to do with anything I said TBH and I could get those wheels for £100 less than that by buying Hope Hoops so not really that cheap. I've already got a very trusted wheel builder from I-Cycles as well so why would I send away for wheels when I could get them done at a local shop.
  • peter413 wrote:
    Hi

Hope this helps.

Ash

Not quite sure what that has to do with anything I said TBH and I could get those wheels for £100 less than that by buying Hope Hoops so not really that cheap. I've already got a very trusted wheel builder from I-Cycles as well so why would I send away for wheels when I could get them done at a local shop.

No worries I was just trying to help. Buy hope hoops then.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Why didn't you?
  • As one of the people who has been having problems I would advice you to buy something else. I have gone through two tesla read hubs in a very short time. They were both 142mm version so granted not the 150mm. It was the freewheel mechanism that broke both times in the same way. First one lasted me about 8 rides, second one only 3 rides.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Two posts, both the same - what did SS say about the failures? They are normally pretty good with warranties?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    cooldad wrote:
    Two posts, both the same

I suspect an unsatisfactory customer experience with SS, which may have ended with him vowing revenge if it took all of eternity
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er