taffygriffiths
taffygriffiths Posts: 186
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
another what do i buy thread! lol

this time... its about a trail helmet.

i'm looking to buy a new lid, and ive narrowed it down to

Giro Xar http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=94064
661 recon http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=72437

both seem to have great reviews everywhere.

now... i cant find any where local to try a Recon, but the LBS' have Xar's in, and i know a Large is a really good, comfy fit.

unfortunately, even with the LBS price of £80, its still £28 more than the Recon, which i would have to take a punt on the size, and order online.

has anyone actually tried on, or held both of these in their hands? are there any major pros/cons over each helmet?
do they size up similar?

help? lol

Comments

• thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    You really need to try a helmet yourself. Obviously most if not all have some adjustments but is the gamble worth it?
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • john2002
    john2002 Posts: 158
    order from CRC and return it for a refund if it doesnt fit. its free to returnit if you use collect plus.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Help ... TopicID=10
    GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc 2011, Fixie, frankenbike
  • ncn
    ncn Posts: 123
    I bought the Recon from CRC and it fits perfectly, feels like a quality product and is pretty comfy to be fair. Also as John says you can just return it if you don't like it.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Got a Recon from CRC - was slightly too small to be fair but didn't feel comfortable at all. Returned it.

Got a Giro Feature for £40 from UKBikeStore.co.uk - fits like a glove. Very nice helmet.

image.aspx?product=12969&A=1&L=1
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    fits like a glove.

Be better if it fitted like a hat... :wink:
  • well ive ordered the Recon from CRC... its the only way i can see if it fits or not i guess! lol

if not, ill return it and head down the LBS and try the Xar again and the Hex.

hopefully its good boyos!!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I've got a fox flux - same as the recon, and it's great. I usually have a size large head, though I found that the s/m flux fitted me better. Anyway, it's comfy and all that lark. No doubt it if fits, you'll get on with it.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • so.... the recon came today, and im not all that bowled over.

for a 'trail' helmet, it doesnt feel very deep at all. not much more than my old helmet.

where as what i can remember of the Xar, it was deeper, and felt much more like a second skin on my head.

im going to give them a side by side look at the LBS tomorrow, but i think the recon will be going back :(