TdF 2013 & Alpe d'Huez General Advice

pthompson73
pthompson73 Posts: 58
edited June 2013 in The cake stop
Guys,

Heading off to watch my 1st ever tour stage this year, having selcted the iconic d'Huez stage as the "Perfect Day"!

Having never done this before, does any one out their have any general advice.

We would like to watch the stage from Dutch Corner and be part of the madness. The trip is part of a 40th birthday party for myself, so no biking (on my part) shall be involved.

We intend to take a tent, and are travelling to Bourg d'Oisean by train / bus.

Any tips, on where to camp, when to arrive, what clothing to take etc etc would be most appreciated to help us enjoy this day.

Might see some of you their.

Paul

Comments

• durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    edited June 2013
    Would definitely be better in the Tour and Expedition forum
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    The Dutch will be there DAYS in advance.
    Not sure about specific camping for the Tdf in the immediate area, but if you are just going for a night or two, then camp wherever you can on or by Alpe D'Huez. That's what many people do.
    I have stayed at http://www.camping-piscine.com/accueilanglais.html before which is a decent site in Bourg d'Oisans if you want a few camping essentials like running water and toilets. :D
  • barrybridges
    barrybridges Posts: 420
    I've camped here before and would thoroughly recommend it:

http://www.camping-colporteur.com/

You can easily walk to the base of the Alpe from there if you wanted to (or get the bus etc from outside the campsite). Good facilities, nice bar/games room, but no pool like the site posted above.

If you get the chance, there's a little stream that runs round the back of this campsite through the town - it's well worth a dip for a dare with your mates. It's fed by glacial water running from the mountains and is just about the coldest water I've ever experienced in my life.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Book camping a year ago.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    The place is going to be feckin mobbed - too mobbed IMO. I reckon there will be zero chance of getting near Dutch Corner for a start. The Dutch who normally go will be doubled at least. Then there are all the people like yourself OP who want to be on Huez.

We've decided to bin the whole Huez idea and stick to Stage 19 and 20.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    I'll be there leading a group of 30, following the Tour from the South of France to Paris.

If you haven't booked anywhere to stay, a tent is your only option ( if u can find a space!)
  • Cheers Guys,

I did toy with the idea of posting it in "Tour & Expedition" but hey ho your responses are received with thanks.

It has all been a tad last minute in its organisation so everything shall be done on the hoof.

I can envisage us camping in a lay-by, or random field either in Bd'O or on d'Huez itself.

We shall probably watch the actually stage a bit further up (or down) the mountain but go to Dutch Corner just for the experience and to say "we were there".

Guessing head back down to Bd'O for the night, and the following day stage depart before heading back off for a night in Grenoble.

All in all just looking to have the experience, however mental busy it may be....so tips, advice etc (good or bad) are heartily welcomed.

Cheers
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    Rather than tour and expedition I'd try pro race. There's a lot of people who only use that part of the forum who are old hands at watching and will have loads of useful advice. I fear you may have left it late to find anywhere formal to camp nearby though. As others have said, there will be people on the Alpe itself days in advance!
  • PompeyPaul
    PompeyPaul Posts: 31
    I have done the whole Alp De Huez thing in 2008 Carlos Sastre won the stage it was amazing.

I arrived two days before drove up to between bend 10 - 11 shoe horned the car into an impossible gap (making sure that my lights were facing the correct direction or the old bill will make you turn it round), took small tent and camped on the hillside opposite the car!

The bread van will be selling bread and croissants early in the morning, you will know when they arrive!

Toilet cubicles were on the next bend up, spent some time on Dutch Corner, spent some time riding up and down the alp itself (dare i say it did a bit of walking), ate in resturaunts a bend up...... and generally had a great time, waited until the next morning to leave.

It was fun watching the Caravan make its way back down, it took nearly all the night, met some real nice Guys on the way down.

On the day of the tour all the vehicles drive up the mountain with car horns blaring to wake you up at an unholy hour!

A really memorable couple of days which was the start of my addiction....... the rules are "there are no rules" the French are real laid back about it.

Have a great time
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Been to the area a few times over the years but never during the TdF. The weather can be very changeable so make sure you take wet weather gear and and warm clothes but also be prepared for blistering sun. An absolute must though is decent tea bags, most places sell the crappy lipton stuff.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    simonhead wrote:
    An absolute must though is decent tea bags, most places sell the crappy lipton stuff.

The only thing an Englishman abroad needs :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    arran77 wrote:
    simonhead wrote:
    An absolute must though is decent tea bags, most places sell the crappy lipton stuff.

The only thing an Englishman abroad needs :lol:

We keep a stock, and start to panic if we get down to 1 box of 240........
  • The climb itself will be packed out. It also stinks of pi55 and barbecues, and that's days before. Bear in mind you'll have to provision yourselves and carry it up. You say you've no bikes to help with this? Forget about moving and re-parking the car on the climb once everyone is dug in. And it's quite a long walk.

Last time I went ('04) we got lucky and found space at a campsite in Bourg and walked up the Alpe on race day. This was much better. It'll be long booked by now but you might get a space.

The lay-by / verge idea that is not on Alpe itself (ie on the approach road, or any road around Bourg) is doable but only really for the night before. I've done it a few times elsewhere. It works very well but like I say I arrived the night before. You also need quite a light and narrow tent to do this easily - forget the big family tent. I'd imagine that if you tried it days beforehand and weren't somewhere obvious like the Alpe itself then you might get moved on.

I didn't try it, but you could also try camping at the summit. Lots more space up there.