Brakes leaking

Daleo
Daleo Posts: 7
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Went out riding at the weekend and towards the end my rear brake had zero stopping power. I didnt notice anything visually wrong except for the lever could be pulled all the way to the bar with no effect at all.

Had a look earlier and noticed around where the cable joins the lever there is a fluid which i can only imagine is the brake fluid? When i pull the brake i notce the pads in the caliper do move but its a very small amount.

Dont know much about how they work or anything so apologise if this is a stupid question but do you think it could be fixed with bleeding or is it a replacement job?

Brakes - Tektro Auriga Comp (Rear)
The bike is about 4 years old, only recently started riding it heavily.

Any help appreciated!
Cheers.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try tightening the hose. Will need a bleed. If fluid has come out air has got in.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I agree with the above, but as it is 4 years old they will probably need a service. You may want to buy some new brake pads and maybe some new hoses just so it's upto scratch. If you don't know what your doing with the brakes then its probably a good idea that you take it to a trust worthy bike shop and get a full brake service.

Hope this helps

Ash

P.s you could upgrade the brakes :D
  • Daleo
    Daleo Posts: 7
    Thanks for the replies.

The connection between the cable and the lever wasnt as tight as it could be so i guess it was leaking from there. Gonna take it for a bleed this weekend.

Looked at some upgrades but im saving for a full suss so i'll put up with them til i can afford.

Cheers.