Hybrid Buying Advice..

safc2409
safc2409 Posts: 30
edited June 2013 in Commuting general
I am looking into buying a Hybrid to replace my sluggish mountain bike for my regular work commute and weekend social riding.
I am currently riding the Commencal Premier Plus.
My work commute is a combination of Cycle path/Bridleway and Road and is nine miles one way.
At present my weekend rides are more road and are for anything from 10 to 40 miles.
My budget is a max of £600.
I have viewed the Giant Roam 1 at my local store and it seems a nice bike.
Any advice is appreciated.
I was advised to look into a Cyclocross but I am not keen as yet for Drop Bars.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have a look at the Decathlon Fit series especially the Fit 5 at just £380.
  • andyd77
    andyd77 Posts: 27
    its been said before, but i'll say it again, you don't need suspension forks, they are heavy and slow you down. lots.

the boardman range is good from Halfords if you are wanting a flat bar bike in your price range an example in the link below

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165534
  • safc2409
    I have been looking at the Boardman' as well, so would they be a better choice than the Giant?
    How would it handle gravel trails?
  • andyd77
    andyd77 Posts: 27
    it will be fine on gravel trails - stick puncture resistant tyres on it and you will be more than ok.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/ro ... x/7_4_fx/#

£600 RRP and has a carbon fork & 9 speed shifting.
  • safc2409
    Any views on the Specialized hybrids from Evans, the Sirrus or the Crosstrail sport..
  • supersonic
    Do you have links to them? Hybrids vary, seems like you need a more road oriented one, like the one I suggested.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/fit-5-road-b ... 39798.html
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Sirrus can be a very good bike but all have shockingly bad componentry for the money (compared to the competition) - poor value.

Best buy is whichever Boardman Hybrid you can afford - the team is worth the extra money and if you wait a few weeks they will have either £60 or 10% off (the latest £60 offer just finished but another one will be along soon).

If buying from Halfords, joining British Cycling for £15 or so gives you an ADDITIONAL 10% off anything.

If not Boardman then best bang for your buck in my opinion is either Decathlon or Carrera Gryphon.

Weight is really important - some hybrids are very heavy.
  • safc2409
    Thanks for the Boardman advice, will view one in the next few days. Do the discounts only apply online. Will be using the ride to work scheme to purchase so order will probably be in the store. I like the look of the Boardman team especially if I can get it discounted..
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If you order online for collection in the store, you pay in the store (if the store has them in stock and they arent special order) at the web price. Show them a British Cycling membership card and they knock a further 10% off.

Dont know if ride to work scheme affects any of this though - I have no experience of that.
  • nfrang
    nfrang Posts: 250
    supersonic wrote:
    Do you have links to them? Hybrids vary, seems like you need a more road oriented one, like the one I suggested.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/fit-5-road-b ... 39798.html

The spec for the Decathlons seems fantastic for a sub £400 bike. Carbon fork, Shimano Sora, 10.2kg! Is there a catch with this company SS?
  • supersonic
    None at all! Win lots of tests, good warranty on parts and frames - only have 6 UK stores, but not a problem if buy online anyway.

For that cash it is unbeatable. In fact better than many bikes double the price.
  • nfrang
    nfrang Posts: 250
    Pretty tempting. £349.99 collect from store for the Fit 5 too. I reckon a few minor upgrades would get that below 10kg and i can't find anything that light below 7-800 quid. Styling's not bad either...not sure about the chainset but i've seen a lot worse.