Bike insurance

3collinso
3collinso Posts: 10
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Whats the best bike insurance company to use, i'd rather get independent bike insurance rather than add it to my house insurance policy,
cheers :)

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You'll pay a vast amount more to have a standalone policy - reckon on about 10% the value of the bike. Why wouldn't you add it to your house insurance? :?
  • 3collinso
    3collinso Posts: 10
    I've now added it to my house insurance policy after looking into this further,
    cheers (Y)
  • Daley87
    Daley87 Posts: 8
    Isn't a stand alone policy needed if you would be locking the bike up anywhere other than home? Surely that wouldnt be covered under home insurance would it? Cheers guys
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Generally it is or can be.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Grovsie29
    Grovsie29 Posts: 116
    Id imagine so but you'd have to be a complete bell end to leave a 4grand bike alone, IMO.
  • njee20
    Home insurance will have the option to cover bikes away from home.
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    something worth knowing and can avoid additional cost, is that if you are only looking for cover in the home (ie protection against burgalry) and you keep the bike in the house (not garages . sheds etc), a lot of policies will consider the bike as 'general contents' (subject to single item limit - very often c 10K) rather than a bike or 'valuable item' (usually jewelry, watches etc with lower item limits).

I know direct line do as they paid me out 5K for my bike after it got stolen in a burgalry with no additional cover extentions on my contents policy. From what i'gve seen a number of the other big insurers do as well. worth looking as you can save yourself a £100-200 on a 'bike extension' to your policy.

of course this provides no protection away from home, hwoever when the bikes out of the house i'm either on it, it's within my grasp or it's locked & coevered in the car so pretty low risk
  • njee20
    or it's locked & coevered in the car so pretty low risk

Plenty of bikes go missing from cars, and you won't be covered by your car insurance.
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    njee20 wrote:
    or it's locked & coevered in the car so pretty low risk

Plenty of bikes go missing from cars, and you won't be covered by your car insurance.

i know, but a bike locked in car, covered with a dust sheet so it's not visable, parked in a clearly visable area, on an irregular basis and only unattended for very short periods of time (eg at the motorway services when i dive in for a coffee / toilet) is a pretty low risk of being of being stolen.

biggest risk of having you bike nicked (in terms of an expensive mountain bike) is having it targeted eg some one specifically breaks in to steal a high value bike they know is there / gets taken from a trail centre where theives know there wull be lots of valuable bikes.

Risks of opportunist thieves (ie you leave it unlocked on a car rack or unattended while you nip in for a cofee half way round a ride) or none targeted theft (eg someone breaks into your garage / shed and happens to find an expensive bike there) can be mitigated by your own actions (ie keep it locked in the house anchored to something / don't be an idiot and leave it unattended)

manage the risk when the bike is out of the house and vunerable and you can save yourself some hefty premiums. for everything else, you have your contents (if your policy responds in the way i originally highlighted)
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    Also worth checking, if you keep your bike(s) in an outbuilding / garage / shed, many home contents policies have a limit on the total amount paid out in the event of a theft from an 'outbuilding', even if you have specific additional cover under your home policy for your bikes ...