Voodoo Bantu. First ride.

fletch247
fletch247 Posts: 16
edited June 2013 in MTB general
Just been out on the bantu for its debut ride. First impressions are excellent. So much better than my entry level Specialized I used to ride which cost about the same money 4 or 5 years ago. That bike came with Coil forks and V-Brakes!

I would like to change a couple of things though. Tyres are a bit naff. Can anyone suggest a decent replacement?

Also, the bolt on grips look nice but are way to uncomfortable, again, any suggestions.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yep - non naff tyres and comfortable grips.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    what kind of riding, that will dictate tyre choice
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • fletch247
    Riding will be mostly trail centres. Nothing to extreme though. Some canal side riding, mainly to build up stamina as I have ridden for a while.
  • fletch247
    Sorry should have said not ridden for a while
  • Rad2474
    Rad2474 Posts: 162
    I find the tyres on my bantu fine for off road riding, local woods and trail centres especially on softer ground. On tarmac they are a bit slow and don't roll brilliantly.Grips are fine for me but that's a personal choice. Overall for the money it's a great bike.
  • astirrup
    astirrup Posts: 24
    Been a Bantu owner for a few months myself and can only echo the opinion of how good this bike feels compared to previous low-end bikes I've owned.

I found the tyres okay for going down normal cycle paths and the canal, although my first time on a proper traill they felt like they were letting me down slightly, particularly after it rained (especially after a go of a friends bike).

I'm no expert myself, but was recommended by people on here these : http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYSCNICEVO/ ... lding_tyre

The grips seem fine to me, although they do seem to wear quickly.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The stock tyres are fine on gravel tracks/tow paths, for a trail centre most decent tyres will work fine but which trail centre will dictate which works best!

Good all round tyres are Panaracer Fire XC Pro (£10ish each wired, £20 ish each folding) or Schwalbe Nobby Nics (in a star compound), the Pana's are slightly faster rolling.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fletch247
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Been out on it 4 times now and it keeps getting better. Probably go for the Nobby Nics. Had a go on my mates hardtail with these on and it felt a lot better.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    Another vote for the XC Pro but if you can get a Maxxis Advantage on offer then go for those. I've been running them in all weathers for a few years now.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • houston26
    houston26 Posts: 115
    I put schwalbe Cx comps on my Bantu and it completely changed the bike, nice and cheap as well. as for grips I would just invest in some gloves.