Are Canyon worth the wait?

hill_struggler
hill_struggler Posts: 32
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Having looked around for a while now I narrowed it down to the Whyte 729 and the Canyon AL 8.9. However the Canyon has an 11 week wait. Is it really worth waiting that long?

http://www.whytebikes.com/2013/product. ... 26&xSec=69

https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbike ... tml?b=3014

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    I think it will end up being longer then 11 weeks as well going by what I've heard from other people. It's up to you really
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    A few people get their bikes late, I got mine on time, as did many others (check out the Canyon thread in general section).

Mine was well, well worth the wait.
  • Thank you! It's a really tricky one...settle for something else which will no doubt be more than I need or be patient but miss most of the summer on a new bike?!

Will check out the Canyon thread now.

Cheers!
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Thank you! It's a really tricky one...settle for something else which will no doubt be more than I need or be patient but miss most of the summer on a new bike?!

Will check out the Canyon thread now.

Cheers!

I'd not wait, the Whyte will be a quality bit of kit.

Think about it, 11 weeks... 3 months... quarter of a year! Nearly winter again... I'd rather be out riding.

They'll probably ride differently mind, Whyte is a bit more slack, which is another reason why I'd buy that, but that's each to their own.
  • Thanks, now to find one in Large as my LBS doesn't have one!
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    There seems to be a peak time of year when you can really buy Canyon bikes,

It's a few months after they release the next years model line up, and about a month or two before the good weather kicks in.

Rest of the time there seems to be stupid long waits. There's the sale period also in October but you have to be lucky they have it in your size/spec.
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    I guess it's down to how much it's worth to you. They both are a similar spec, different forks though, I'm not sure which is better sid or reba? After that it's an extra £100 or so to have the bike now. Ya pays ya money, ya makes ya choice!

I suppose it's yet to be seen but I've read that communication isn't one of Canyon's best features. They have been fine with me, I made my order 3 weeks ago, they said it woulld ship out in 6 weeks or so, (turned out it was out of stock, my fault for not checking at the time) I sent an email recently to check up on the order and they got back to me next day to confirm everything. In 3 weeks from now I will probably be on here either praising them or slagging them off :) , time will tell.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Plyphon wrote:
    There seems to be a peak time of year when you can really buy Canyon bikes,

It's a few months after they release the next years model line up, and about a month or two before the good weather kicks in.

Rest of the time there seems to be stupid long waits. There's the sale period also in October but you have to be lucky they have it in your size/spec.

They seem to manufacture them in batches, so you are waiting for the model you want. If they've just done a batch it is there and ready for you.
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    My canyon bought a month ago is a very nice bike, but their service is horrible. Note it will likely take a few more weeks than their quoted time.

Up to you. After some mods as their sizing tool is not great for me who was borderline, I am super happy with the bike but as I said the service (i.e. communication) is terrible particularly for the idiot they have working as their rep in Denmark (not relevant to you).

I will probably not buy another, but that is easy to say since that day is a few years off right now!
  • Thank you! I think I will move on from the Canyon and go for the Whyte! Maybe a Canyon upgrade in a few years!