Another wheel question

Mr Dog
Mr Dog Posts: 643
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Just trashed the rear wheel on my Anthem so need advice on a 26" replacement. Needs to be strong, reasonably light and under £250. Suggestions please cos I'm clueless, old and fall off.... a lot. :D
Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?

Comments

• Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    What is the trashed wheel? How is it 'trashed'?

For £250 you could a nice set of wheels. 2 of them.
  • Mr Dog
    Well it's way out of true. Not sure if my lbs will manage to pull it back into shape, and the soonest they can try it next Wednesday. I hope they can.. the Mrs is gonna kill me.. we haven't paid our holiday off yet and it's in three weeks!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Superstar custom build; Arch EX on a Trizoid or Tesla would be my choice. Light, fast and tough and about £200
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Mr Dog
    Oh the wheel is stock, I bought the Anthem x4 in 2010. it has a Mavic rim and a Shimano hub.
  • Mr Dog
    My God you guys are quick. Thanks. It takes hours to get any decent info over on the 'roadie' section.
  • felix.london
    I knew those guys weren't as fast as they claim to be ;)

Trek Session 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I knew those guys weren't as fast as they claim to be ;)
    It's hard to type when your hands are covered in nads.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4ANnmHmOPraUM9b8wLe2yUkfZC4FeBhlAG7tfBSGT0Sl6PJbdGQ
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Superstar custom build; Arch EX on a Trizoid or Tesla would be my choice. Light, fast and tough and about £200

Arch EX is a bit overkill on an Anthem. Mavic XM719 would be my choice, nearly as strong as the Arch but lighter and made of harder aluminium so they don't dent as easily. For £250 you could get it on a Hope hube which is much better quality than Superstar and will last forever. Try Merlin cycles.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Better quality than which Superstar hub?

XM719 is heavier than an Arch EX too, buy some 60g.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Another vote for superstar but I'd go for their Crest + Switch hub combo. They have some pre-built wheelsets going for £200.
  • felix.london
    jairaj wrote:
    Another vote for superstar but I'd go for their Crest + Switch hub combo. They have some pre-built wheelsets going for £200.

He only wants a rear and has a budget of £250 so why go for a pair of Crest/Switch when he could get a rear Arch EX/Trizoid (or Tesla) ?...with CX Ray spokes :wink:

Trek Session 8
  • jairaj
    whoops sorry missed the bit that the OP was only after the rear.

I still think Crest would be a better rim as its lighter. Depends how heavy you are and how hard you ride the Anthem but would have thought a Crest would be strong enough for the riding the Anthem is designed for.
  • Mr Dog
    I live in NE Scotland and surf the granite reefs we have here, so the stronger the better. I'm pretty light at 61kg but have very little 'technical ability'. However I can't resist a bit of downhill but it always ends with me in a tree. Thanks for all your help. Looking at some Hope pro2 stans Flow EX to cope with all this hard rock (granite not Led Zep) :D .
  • felix.london
    Now that does sound like overkill! Especially for a wee man like yaself :wink:

For the record; I've been been smashing my Arch EX (on DH Trizoid/Switch EVO) down Alps all of last season and continuing into this one. They are spot on and perfect for hard riding on tough trails

Btw - I'm 73kg, riding a hardtail and my technique also leaves a lot to be desired

Trek Session 8
  • welsh_14
    welsh_14 Posts: 259
    +1 for the superstar set. I would go with the Tesla hub, had no problems with it whatsoever and has good, fast engagement. Mine is on the Pacenti Tl28 rim which has also been faultless. Not sure about prices of a Hope build but would agree with felix.london that the build you suggest is overkill, especially on an anthem!
  • Mr Dog
    How much weight will I save and will these alternatives stand up to incompetent handling? Nervous about buying on line in case they need re trued after a few rides.
  • jairaj
    Depends which combo you go for but weights will be in the region of 900g to 1000g. How does that compare to your current wheel?
  • Mr Dog
    Shame on me, I've no idea. I just need a wheel to take my mistakes on the chin and still come back for more. The Hope 2 Stans Flow EX is in a lbs so I can pay part cash and the Mrs won't go radio rental.I like the sound of an Arch EX how much lighter is it over the Flow? However you people with the knowledge have come back with some great suggestions and any weight savings would be cool but I need a wheel for hapless fool who loves going beyond his limitations :D
  • jairaj
    From memory I think the arch ex is about 400g and the flow ex about 490g. Stan's website should have all the stats.
  • Mr Dog
    100g rotational weight is not to be sniffed at.. Evans it might be!
  • acac
    acac Posts: 348
    you can get hope hubes on flow rims apair for £250.00 good price
    then sell your front wheel.
    better wheel build from hope
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-hoops-pro2 ... -wheelset/
    or you could get them from evans and get price match
    play hard ride hard
  • felix.london
    Mr Dog wrote:
    100g rotational weight is not to be sniffed at.. Evans it might be!

100g on each wheel

Mr Dog wrote:
    but I need a wheel for hapless fool who loves going beyond his limitations :D
    :lol:

Like I say, I smash mine through some pretty nasty stuff and other than a little truing a couple of weeks ago (after the whole of last season - riding most days) they are perfect. Coupled with a Black Chili Rubber Queen it's a great combo for hard trail bashing

Trek Session 8