Shed Security?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited June 2013 in Commuting chat
right, i know this has probably been gone through already over the years but...

im told my bike can no longer live in the living room, so the bike will have to go into the shed.

the shed at the moment still has the plain old nasty hinges an fittings it came with - which are about as safe as a paper condom

im thinking of a Shed Shackle and a 16mm chain

im going to try an wire our house alarm into the shed too.

im thinking if i make the outside of the shed look secure, "tea leaves" will think there is something in the shed to steal...

ahhh decisions decisions...
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Remembering to lock it.

Mine is alarmed and secure to the core, but in one of the moments, I forgot to lock it. Overnight, opportunitist help themselves to son's old bike the the shed. He's not fussed. Received an Islabike couple of weeks beforehand kept in the house!
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Move shed (if possible) or cut hole in floor if not. Dig hole, fill with concrete, embed ground anchor loop, attach bike with several motorbike grade chains. Making the shed look secure from the outside is the same as putting a large banner on the side with a picture of your bike.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • mudcow007
    Koncordski wrote:
    Move shed (if possible) or cut hole in floor if not. Dig hole, fill with concrete, embed ground anchor loop, attach bike with several motorbike grade chains. Making the shed look secure from the outside is the same as putting a large banner on the side with a picture of your bike.

i didnt really fancy cutting a hole in the floor hence the wall shackley thing

another idea was make a solid block of concrete but sink an anchor into which would then just sit next to the bike in the shed
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,765
    Move the shed into the living room.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Move the shed into the living room.

Move the missus into the shed ?
    Misguided Idealist
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Suggest to the missus that she keeps her shoes / handbags etc (at eleast the ones she doesn't use very often) in the shed, so you have more room in the house / wardrobes. Point out to her that you use the bike more often than she uses the shoes etc so it has more right to be in the house.....

Or get on of these http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/bike-cycle-s ... e-approved

following this advice might not be a good idea
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • mudcow007
    ahh but i have just bought this....

20130611_200117_zps2ac88925.jpg

together with this

Done_zps13ca7fb2.jpg

so there is deffo no room in the shed for her mountains of shoes
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Koncordski wrote:

Agree.

The outside door of mine has a silly squire padlock but I have internal hinges and the door has been reinforced. Bikes locked with motorbike lock and two U locks bolted the shed frame and one lock attached to a lawn mower. Also have a MTB with one lock so if they get in this is the easier bike to steal which wouldn't matter. Also alarmed to the mains power.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Front mudguard's fallen off the Bandit! Nice bike though, I used to have the 12.

With all that in the shed you need decent security, but I'd keep it stealthy rather than making it obvious you've got goodies in there.

Chain the bicycle to the motorbike ? A ground anchor would make sense.
    Misguided Idealist
  • sketchley
    There would be plenty of room in the shed for her shoes if you put the motorbikes in the bathroom.....
    --
    Chris

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Get a new wife...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • sketchley
    New wives come with new shoes, doesn't solve the problem.....
    --
    Chris

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Sketchley wrote:

Heather Mills? half the problem?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • mudcow007
    Front mudguard's fallen off the Bandit! Nice bike though, I used to have the 12.

With all that in the shed you need decent security, but I'd keep it stealthy rather than making it obvious you've got goodies in there.

Chain the bicycle to the motorbike ? A ground anchor would make sense.

i think the mudguards in a box of bits that came with the bike, not bad for £100 (for the whole bike!) :shock:

i think if i had a 12 id die a very horrible death somewhere to be fair, so i will keep it sensible with the 6

just bought a new hasp & staple for the door as well as shed load (get it..) of coach bolts

will try wiring the sensor up to the alarm too

cheers all
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    rubertoe wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

Heather Mills? half the problem?

Unlikely. Ask paul.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)