New Bike - "bedding in" forks & brakes

brucie45
brucie45 Posts: 279
edited June 2013 in MTB general
Just a quick one and it may sound abit stupid, I apologise for this.

I have purchased a new bike and it arrived yesterday about 75% built. I have now built is up and as you can imagine the brakes and forks are underperforming. I have seen on this forum people talking about "bedding in" brakes & forks.

Can you tell me:

a) what is involved in this process?
b) is there an official process?

The forks are Fox Float 150mm anf the brakes are formula RX.

Thank you
Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    For the forks: just ride them. They might feel a little stiff at first, but will become more supple with time.

For the brakes: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/workshop-how-to-bed-in-disc-brake-pads-31337/
  • brucie45
    Thanks for your help, just thought I may have been missind something.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    warpcow wrote:
    For the forks: just ride them

For the brakes: just use them

adjusted that for ya :wink:

But seriously - I have never gone out of my way to bed in new brake pads...I just go out and ride and I'm riding some fairly gnarly sh1t but have never had a problem
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I agree with just use them. Try and get a few heavy stops in and try not to drag them initially but otherwise don't worry.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ScareyJ
    ScareyJ Posts: 64
    Had to put about thirty odd hour's over some good rutted stuff on my xc30's before they started to work well.

They're spot on now, Don't know how I managed on rigid's ;)
  • brucie45
    Thanks for the replies. When I bought my last bike the shop set is up, I rode away and it was perfect from day one. Now my new bike has come and I have put together I just wanted to make sure I hadnt missed anything.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    warpcow wrote:
    For the forks: just ride them

For the brakes: just use them

adjusted that for ya :wink:

But seriously - I have never gone out of my way to bed in new brake pads...I just go out and ride and I'm riding some fairly gnarly sh1t but have never had a problem
    Yep, agree. Just ride it.
  • It took 5 or 6 longish rides before the Fox fork on my 2012 Zesty bedded in, initially I was really disappointed with its performance, but a few rides later its loosened up nicely.

Likewise the Formula brakes were initially really cr*p with poor power and mega brake squeal, now they are just a bit disappointing and will get swopped out when I can afford it!
    http:\\www.thedecliningcyclist.wordpress.com
    One mans battle with mediocrity and his declining physical powers.........
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Hmm, Formula brakes are supposed to be among the best.
    Can be a complete pain to get spare parts for though.
  • Hmm, Formula brakes are supposed to be among the best.
    Can be a complete pain to get spare parts for though.

The zesty is the first bike I've had with formulas on, they're not terrible, but considering their reputation and reviews I think I was just expecting a bit more.
    In my limited experience I'd put them on a par with Avid elixirs (before the air gets in and the constant need to bleed them starts) but not as good as Shimano SLX which are the only others I've used.
    http:\\www.thedecliningcyclist.wordpress.com
    One mans battle with mediocrity and his declining physical powers.........
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I concurr, I'd put the performance along the lines of elixirs, and though I've no personal experience of them long term, one of our lot has them, and has had plenty of issues. A disproportionate amount, really, but given the reputation, I'd put it down to bad luck.
    Shimano brakes though, are phenomenal. I run XT M785 on (the front of) my bike, and they've been faultless in all conditions.