Col de Tende and Assietta

paulontheroad
paulontheroad Posts: 33
edited June 2013 in Tour & expedition
Does anyone have any information as to whether these passes are open yet? Or any website that might have the information. Am hoping to do both over the next couple of weeks and trying to find a bit more info.
Am struggling with the Italian on the Assietta website, and the English doesn't seem to be working!
http://www.stradadellassietta.it/
And any information on what the surface is like would be much appreciated too
Thanks in advance

Comments

• airwise
    airwise Posts: 241
    I hope you aren't thinking of riding the Assieta on a road bike?
  • No, I'll be on a hybrid with a couple of panniers to weigh me down. Is it bad?
  • airwise
    airwise Posts: 241
    It's very rough in places yes and the descent into Sestriere was bumpy even on a full sus MTB.

The Finestre is easily rideable even on a racing bike IME, the descent towards Finesterre is tarmaced anyway. The Assietta is a glorious road but it's far less well maintained and more challenging.

Still, if you've got good off road tyres or wide Marathons then you should be OK. enjoy.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    It might be worth trying Google Translate.
  • I did think of that, I was more concerned about the links to official .pdfs with big exclamation marks next to them, and also the surface, and whether it was open. Couldn't realy find any up to date info in any language. Thinking now that if the surface is really bad might park the tour bike and panniers and rent a mountain bike for the day to go along the ridge. But thanks to all for replying.