Hope headset compression bolt type/size?

WizzBeard
WizzBeard Posts: 3
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello all,

I'll try and keep this short.

New pair of forks in post today, steerer too long, thought would take advantage of length using spacers to work out optimum bar height, spacers used were fractionally too short (I know, I know...) in my haste to test new forks I over tightened compression bolt (against steerer) and snapped it.

Headset is a Hope conventional, not using a Hed Doctor. Does anyone know if the bolt is a standard size? What's the chances of me being able to find one in a hardware shop tomorrow? If slim I'll just order a replacement from CRC but I'd rather sort it out tomorrow and ride it than wait an extra day.

Thanks in advance and sorry for making such a dumb blunder..

Comments

• JohnBurt
    JohnBurt Posts: 94
    Should be a standard bolt M5 or M6 can't remember, but take the bits to a local nut & bolt shop and they will sort you out - should be less than a quid
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    that is only if you are not using the Hope top cap.

if you are just get use a normal top cap and bolt.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • WizzBeard
    WizzBeard Posts: 3
    Thanks for the quick reply guys.

So does it need to have a countersunk top to fit with the Hope cap? In that case, do you know if the Hed Doctor replacement bolt that is readily available would be an OK replacement? I'm guessing the length is pretty similar to that of the standard bolt?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=12801
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is the same bolt. the standard bolt is just a bolt. Hope top caps dont use standard bolts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown