Most serious crash yet

muzzan
muzzan Posts: 203
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Hi,

So on friday I had a quite bad crash, which I think I have got off quite lightly with in terms of damage to myself & the bike.

What happened was that I was cycling through a busyish part of the city, busy with people anyway as there was some sort of fair on I think. Had just got past the busiest section & was picking up speed when to my horror a wee guy on a mountain bike appeared in front of me from between 2 parked cars. I hit him pretty hard & went flying over the handle bars, landing mainly on my shoulder/side.

The boy was fine, but his wheel was badly bent. My front wheel was squinty, but as far as I can tell this is the only damage & I've already had it fixed.

Must say, for right or wrong I didnt hang around, even though the boy & his pals were initialy saying sorry, by the time I had got my wits together they were starting to tell others it was my fault somehow. This was a pretty tough part of the city, so didnt see what was to be gained by getting into an argument with a 12 year old.

I was a bit stunned, but after gathering myself I was able to ride another 10mi to my sisters, albeit gingerly. I've some bad road rash & a pretty sore side, but I think I'm on the mend & am confident I'll be back on the bike next w/e.

All in all could've been a lot worse I think. Blown my target of 1000mi for the month though ;-(

Comments

• KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    Could have been worse mate, pleased you're not too badly injured and bike is ok (now)
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,086
    feck that sounds bad
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    He was lucky... You could have been a 32 ton article and he could have been dead
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Mikey23 wrote:
    He was lucky... You could have been a 32 ton article and he could have been dead
    This^^^^^^
    Glad to hear you ok.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • muzzan
    Yep same thought crossed my mind, though I suppose theres the chance he would've heard a car coming. There was a bus coming pretty close behind as it happens. The other thought I had was that the timing has to be so spot on for a crash like that to happen, I mean even 2 seconds ether way & I either see him in time to stop or I'm away. One of those things. Dont really think I could've done much (he was lower than the height of the cars), but I will certainly be being extra careful when passing parked cars for a while.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    I take it that your Garmin didn't suddenly disappear off the front of your bike and mysteriously appear in one of his friends hands....?
  • muzzan
    LOL, no, though I wouldnt have been that gutted if it had, looking for an excuse to upgrade my old forerunner to an edge 500 :-)