Garmin basecamp. Driving me nuts

nunowoolmez
nunowoolmez Posts: 865
edited June 2013 in Tour & expedition
Hi all,

I have been trying to work out how to use Garmins Basecamp, but when i finally get into it, the dropdown map option doesn't appear to include my City Navigator Europe. Therefore i cannot really go much further. I have the mapping in the device, is there an obvious reason for this?

I am going to the Alps next month & just wanted to sort out some routes. To be honest i am pretty sick of Garmins websites, they drive me mad!!

I have an actual map but planned on only having it in a jersey pocket as backup.

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Have you installed it with MapInstall (or is it Map Manager? - one or the other).

If yes, or if that doesn't work, I suggest contacting Garmin Technical Support - they're pretty helpful.

I could be wrong but I have a horrible feeling that if you only have CityNavigator on SD card you can only use it on your gps - you can't also install to a PC. I could be wrong though.

But as a Plan B the OSM mapping IME is as good as the Garmin and there are no licensing hoops to jump through.
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    Have you got your device plugged in while using basecamp? Please be aware that the data transfer rate is very slow and the map will take a long time to show that is why if you can you should install the maps on your pc/mac
  • TJA
    TJA Posts: 8
    1) City Navigator SD in Garmin.
    2) Connect Garmin to PC with USB cable.
    3) Run Basecamp. It can take some time for Basecamp to recognize the map the first time it is run.

You might need the Garmin USB drivers:
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=592

You can copy the Garmin folder containing GMAPSUPP.IMG to an USB stick and use that which increases performance greatly.
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    You can access the map from the SD card if the unit is plugged into your computer. Not sure if you can easily get the map onto your computer, I think the SD card may be protected so it can't be done (legally)

Assuming you're using it for planning your route in advance on your computer, i just use an online mapping service (bikehike, map my ride etc) then import into basecamp. I then export from basecamp onto the device as a tcx and use the citynavigator and OS maps as background on the device (whichever is the most useful for what i'm doing).

You can drag and drop files straight from your computer into a particular folder on your garmin but i can never remember where, which is why I import to basecamp to export to the garmin.