Gel Bins

charliew87
charliew87 Posts: 371
Is there a market for a bin designed to be used by cyclists on the move to put one's used gel sachets into to save the countryside being littered by them? I've seen metal things in Holland which would work for hurling a bottle or something into but a gel sachet would just blow away. Does anyone know if there's anything out there already? I've got an idea how this could work...
Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0

Comments

• Do you mean something that could be carried on the bike or something placed along the roadside?

I use a small bag that attaches to my stem (might be called a tri-bag) for empty wrappers. Stuffing wrappers into your back pocket is OK but it's easier to be sure that your wrapper is properly secured in a bag on the front of the bike - it's easy to drop a wrapper as you stuff it in a pocket.

Recently I've started using gel flasks which dispenses with the wrapper issue altogether.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    What's wrong with a pocket?

Is it that big of a deal? You do see a few around, but no more than empty beer cans or broken car parts.
    exercise.png
  • charliew87
    charliew87 Posts: 371
    Yeah - a bin you can chuck an empty sachet into at 20mph to stop things like this happening, which happens at every sportive in the country every week of the year. Obviously chucking them in your pocket is easy peasy, but a lot of people seem incapable.

http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/loca ... ce_litter/
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    charliew87 wrote:
    Is there a market for a bin designed to be used by cyclists on the move to put one's used gel sachets into to save the countryside being littered by them? I've seen metal things in Holland which would work for hurling a bottle or something into but a gel sachet would just blow away. Does anyone know if there's anything out there already? I've got an idea how this could work...

Yes there is, its called a pocket.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    There won't be a market for one, on sportives the idiots that deliberately just chuck their wrappers do it all over the course - they aren't going to wait until a gel bin appears to do it. The rest of us put the wrappers in our pocket and ditch them at the feed stops or the end.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    nferrar wrote:
    on sportives the idiots that deliberately just chuck their wrappers do it all over the course
    It's because they're more "Pro" ...

ie that's what the pros (appear to) do ...

the difference is that the real Pros have a clean up team - and I believe in some places they have designated disposal points.

So far I've only taken 1 gel (yuck - I'd rather not repeat the experience!) - and that was towards the end of an impromtu afterwork ride (the weather was nice!) and I wanted to get home without being wrecked. Oh - I put the rubbish back in my pocket ...
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Freezer bag in pocket which collects all the empties. The numpties who throw them everywhere are the same people who then act surprised when locals don't want sportives continually going through their neck of the woods. Box hill and new forest being two good examples of that.
  • charliew87 wrote:
    Yeah - a bin you can chuck an empty sachet into at 20mph to stop things like this happening, which happens at every sportive in the country every week of the year. Obviously chucking them in your pocket is easy peasy, but a lot of people seem incapable.

http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/loca ... ce_litter/

This was from an elite/pro level race. Not a sportive. Still not good though.
  • Bins? Bonkers. Try up your shorts. The grippers hold them safely above the knee