What to wear without looking like total noob?

Liebkuchen
Liebkuchen Posts: 19
edited March 2014 in Women
I've inherited a mtb- albeit a large kids one but with a new seat post and higher handlebars. Getting it back tomorrow with fixed gears due to fraying cables issues so now I'm ready to roll. However, I don't know what to wear.

I guess I'm looking to have functional clothes (I sweat like a darts player) that don't mark me down as too much of an outsider. I see Sports Direct seem to have good basics I could supplement with ebay for something nicer. I'll be riding loops round the city park for the first few weeks before heading out on the national cycle routes as I increase mileage aiming to get onto forestry roads by autumn. I want to get into the trail side of things and hope to be out 3 times a week. I've got my eye on a local sportive at the end of the summer, too. All I own right now is a fluorescent pink waterproof cycling jacket I wear running.

As almost all the pictures in bike magazines are men and I'm 32 rather than a 20 year old Olympic hopeful, I really don't know what is appropriate. Oh, and my problem areas are proportionally large hips and bum so I'm wary of too much lycra with my rear on show. However, looser cycling shorts strike me as maybe too 'young'?

Please endulge your inner Gok Wans and advise me.

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Shorts and T-shirt. Go out and ride your bike, and don't worry.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Yeah shorts and t shirt. I dont bother with any mtb sweaters or bike specific clothes etc. I wear tatty joggers and old hoodys. I get looks sometimes cos I reckon I look a bit chavvy but then I remember I'm riding my bike and I dont care.
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    Full Lycra is your only option ;)
  • Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    Seriously, don't worry, Adonis doesn't ride MTBs! And he would be quite ridiculous, even in perfect clothing, because he can't even ride :D

The basic gear is cycling shorts, well fitting shoes with profiled soles (any sneakers, as long as the sole isn't too soft) and gloves. And don't worry about helmets, it is fine to wear one. And do not worry about your age, cyclists have no style, they have appropriate clothing!

Eventually, you will find out, what else is useful. There is a lot of protective gear, special shoes, winter clothes, summer clothes, rainwear ...
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Padded cycling shorts. So either the roadie style lycras or undershorts like these with ordinary shorts ('baggies') over the top.
    And - just in case you did not know - you go commando under your padded lycra shorts otherwise you will get chafing from the seams of your underwear. Other than that wear whatever feels comfortable for the conditions.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • lg18
    lg18 Posts: 92
    Seriously, other than padded shorts for "bit comfort", just wear whatever is in your wardrobe that befits the weather and the ride. Who cares if you sweat and stink - that's mountain biking! (Even the best merino won't cure that although it is still comfy and warmish when wet). I just wear the same stuff as I go hill-walking, field-working or kayaking in (other than the dry suit, obviously!).
  • I've only recently started wearing padded cycling shorts since I bought a Brooks saddle. You could wear baggy shorts over the top or knee length padded bottoms. Try to find a long, slightly loose at the bottom, tunic if you're worried about displaying your rear in Lycra. It will look fine. Trainers that are not squashy, there are more around nowadays with a hardish sole. Just get out and enjoy yourself. 32! Wish I was that again.
  • Padded cycling shorts are awful!! They look terrible unless you have absolutely the right (boyish) figure for them and they are uncomfortable, always chafing. I cycle in a running skirt with built in (unpadded) shorts, bringing a bit of femininity back into cycle wear, with opaque black tights underneath if it's cold. Plus leg warmers to add in really cold conditions.
  • SUPERSUTT
    SUPERSUTT Posts: 292
    any padded shorts and an old football or training T-shirt as long as its breathable and quick drying. you will need to invest in a good wind-proof waterproof jacket that's breathable not boil in the bag type
    (holds in sweat condensation) as you will feel the cold in the cooler months.

Its all about staying comfortable while out riding keep out the wind and rain but release the sweat condensation
    falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
    FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
    HT Merlin Malt one (sold)