tyres that resist punctures best 700C's?

Mark Elvin
Mark Elvin Posts: 997
edited June 2013 in Commuting chat
Looking to replace the Scwalbes on the Cannondale as the are becoming quite badly cut, can anybody recommend some decent, light, puncture resistant tyres?
2012 Cannondale Synapse

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    GP 4 Seasons
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    Looking to replace the Scwalbes on the Cannondale as the are becoming quite badly cut, can anybody recommend some decent, light, puncture resistant tyres?

Decent, Light and Puncture resistant... Hmmmm

Evo CG's. Not cheap though!
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Vredstein Fortezza Tricomp, due to it's catchy name.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    gatorskins are relatively cheap, relatively light and bombproof

principe is right to point out that you are asking for "cheap, light and strong - pick any two" according to Keith Bontrager :)

GP4s are great but pricy
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    GP4 Seasons here too. Not quite as puncture proof as the Gatorskins but they give sooooo much more confidence in the wet.

I've got 4000s's on my nice bike, they're reasonably hardy but not a patch on the 4 Seasons. And I'd be hard pushed to really notice the difference between the 2 tyres except when sprinting up a hill.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Mark Elvin
    edhornby wrote:
    gatorskins are relatively cheap, relatively light and bombproof

principe is right to point out that you are asking for "cheap, light and strong - pick any two" according to Keith Bontrager :)

GP4s are great but pricy

Sorry, where did I say cheap? :?:
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Currently using Durano, Gatorskin HS & Rubino Pro (2 diff bikes).

Gatorskins cut up really badly and unless you pick the flint out of the tyre then you're headed for a visit. This will be the last GS I get, as I've been using them for 3 years and I've got fed up with them. edit; 3 visits this year in 3000 miles.

Durano's also seem to cut up but not quite as bad as the GS and Rubino's have only been on for 300 miles but they still look OK.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    Another vote for GP 4 seasons here. I use the 700x28 for both tarmac and offroad riding with very few punctures.
    Had the occasional pinch flat when I've hit a big stone and I've not had them inflated as I should. They have even survived road debris so bad that it cut a slice out of the rubber about the size of a fingernail. I didn't have a puncture but I did have to glue that patch of tyre back down with some rubber cement. :)

Mike
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Rubino Pros - my current favourite tyre. The Paves are meant to be excellent
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    For something a bit different, my current Mavic Yksion Pros have suffered one puncture in 3,500 miles since November (including daily use through the winter) (if I don't count the pinch when I hit a big hole a couple of weeks ago). Quite light and grip and roll well enough for me. Cutting up a bit now though, so have bought replacements. A bit pricy, not that you care.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    gp 4 seasons
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Yup - not looked back since I fitted the 4 seasons. Give you great confidence in all conditions (almost all... not so hot on snow and ice) and pretty damn resistant.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    Looking to replace the Scwalbes on the Cannondale
    What Schwalbes do you have now ?

Different answers depending whether you say:
    "I've done 10k miles in the City on Ultremo ZX"
    Or
    "I've done 500 miles out of town on Marathon+"
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    I'm guessing the stock Lugano wired tires.
  • Mark Elvin
    I'm guessing the stock Lugano wired tires.

Correct :D
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    I have found Gatorskins to be quite resilient. Haven't tried GP 4s though.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • Benjo74
    Benjo74 Posts: 67
    Continental Gator Hardshells - had them for about 3 months with no problems so far on a daily 16 mile roundtrip commute on a combination of London roads and cycle paths (National Cycle Route 21 - the gravelly bit between Lower Sydenham and Lewisham). Before I got them I was having several punctures a week, pretty much consistently at the Catford stretch which seems to also serve as an al-fresco underage drinking (bottle smashing) and joint smoking facility.
    FCN: 3 on the singlespeed, 4 on the roadie.
  • Mark Elvin
    GP 4 seasons purchased, in the 2 tyre & 2 tubes wiggle offer.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Went from GP4Seasons (which i really rate) to Rubino Pro's which feel much quicker and are equally glass and flint proof. Gatorskins are no fun on wet tarmac!

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Mark Elvin
    Conti 4 seasons purchased.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    hmmm wise become you have
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    I've been using SMPs since I first found out about them. Wanting something lighter I switched to gatorskins and picked up a puncture within a day. Back to the SMPs.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Specialized Roubaix Pro. Very light, grip well in bad weather, yet to puncture on either of the two bikes I've fitted them too. Very easy to get on and off the rim too, I don't need tyre levers.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Michelin Pro4 Endurance are good IMO
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    dondare wrote:
    I've been using SMPs since I first found out about them. Wanting something lighter I switched to gatorskins and picked up a puncture within a day. Back to the SMPs.

Try Durano Plus. Based on the SMP but lighted and softer rubber. Most resistant slick you can get.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    I put Duranos on my son's bike. They are much thinner and lighter than Marathons and so far have punctured once (in a few months of riding) with what might have been the pin part of a drawing pin penetrating the case.
    My SMPs have never punctured in eversomany years. As far as I am concerned they're worth the extra weight and the annual struggle replacing them.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    Durano Pluses I think are about the most puncture resistant you'll get. The ride isn't the best, and they're an absolute a*se to get on the rims, but the grip isn't bad in the wet, and they roll pretty well considering... Depends which of those qualities are most important for you.
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 266
    another vote for durano plus.
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • Mr.Duck
    Mr.Duck Posts: 174
    Can anyone explain the tread pattern on the gatorskins? They look awful. I can't see how it will clear any standing water in the wet.
    Gator_Skin-mtb-main.jpg

Compared to Rubino Pro, which look a lot better.
    rubino_pro.jpg?w=700&h=700&a=7

Koncordski wrote:
    Went from GP4Seasons (which i really rate) to Rubino Pro's which feel much quicker and are equally glass and flint proof. Gatorskins are no fun on wet tarmac!
    Has anyone else tried both the GP 4 Season and Rubino Pro? It seems like the Rubino Pro should be more popular than they are. They look very well priced.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Mr.Duck wrote:
    Can anyone explain the tread pattern on the gatorskins? They look awful. I can't see how it will clear any standing water in the wet.

Tread on a road tyre is pretty much pointless - the tyres are nowhere near wide enough to need it for water clearance. It's really just a marketing gimmick.

ETA - I love Rubino Pros
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH