Tommy Simpson Biopic - Shane Meadows

pomtarr
pomtarr Posts: 318
edited June 2013 in Pro race
Originally mooted back in 2011, it seems this will be Meadows' next project (having just finished a film about the Stone Roses):
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/jun/09/trailer-trash-tatou-shane-meadows

This has the potential to be very, very good.
"Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"

Comments

• Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Great ... let's celebrate an idiot who killed himself in the pursuit of cheating ...
  • Der Kaiser
    Der Kaiser Posts: 172
    I know the perfect actor to play Tom Simpson.

Michael Socha who played a werewolf in Being Human.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Great ... let's celebrate an idiot who killed himself in the pursuit of cheating ...

Meadows is not really that type of film maker.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,103

Are you aware of the moral relativism?

Taking amphetamines wasn't banned at the time and there was no drug testing.

Who's the idiot now?
  • Crankbrother
    andyp wrote:

Who's the idiot now?

I'm guessing the dead guy?

(shakes head in disbelief at the sheer dumbassery of some folks) ...
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    andyp wrote:

Who's the idiot now?

I'm guessing the dead guy?

(shakes head in disbelief at the sheer dumbassery of some folks) ...

Reminds me of the sheer hypocrisy of Cycling Weekly's headline about Richard Virenque "Can you believe this Guy" and on the next page there was an advert for a Tommy Simpson video or book called "put me back on me bike" ........Sssssssssh dont mention we british dont do those bad things them frenchies do :roll:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Reminds me of the sheer hypocrisy of Cycling Weekly's headline about Richard Virenque "Can you believe this Guy" and on the next page there was an advert for a Tommy Simpson video or book called "put me back on me bike" ........Sssssssssh dont mention we british dont do those bad things them frenchies do :roll:
    Advertising a book about Simpson doesn't endorse doping any more than a magazine advertising Silence of the Lambs endorses serial killing.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jamie1012
    jamie1012 Posts: 171
    Haven't read the book, and none of us have seen this film, but I assume neither are celebrations of doping. The whole unavoidable necessity when telling his story of linking doping to a horrible death ought to see to that.
  • Jokull
    Jokull Posts: 248
    andyp wrote:

Who's the idiot now?
    Doping was banned in France in 1965, and the first tests were carried out in the 1966 Tour de France. The culture hadn't changed, but riders in 1967 knew they were breaking the rules.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    jamie1012 wrote:
    Haven't read the book, and none of us have seen this film, but I assume neither are celebrations of doping. The whole unavoidable necessity when telling his story of linking doping to a horrible death ought to see to that.

The book is brilliant, and in no way celebrates or apologises for doping. I would thoroughly recommend a read of it.

I'm looking forward to the film. I hope Helen and Barry Hoban have some input.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492

Or let's make a film about a flawed but interesting human being - you really need to get a grip.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Paulie W wrote:

Or let's make a film about a flawed but interesting human being - you really need to get a grip.

Quite.

There's also a good reason why the British riders pay their respects when they ride past his memorial on Ventoux during the Tour - whether its Wiggins climbing with a photo of Tommy Simpson taped to his bike, or Cav removing his helmet, or Millar throwing across a cap with an inscription to Simpson written inside it. Its a mixture of respect for what Simpson achieved as a rider as well as an understanding that he paid what was utlimately too high a price for trying to win.
  • Crankbrother
    Paulie W wrote:

And you need to take it a whole lot less personally ... Unless, of course, you are Tommy Simpson ... In which case it proves there is a hell, and as we'd expect it has SKY broadband ...
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Paulie W wrote:

+1

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    The clue's in the "crank" guys... don't feed the misanthropist.
  • Crankbrother
    In fairness, Anthropist is only a small village ...
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    I think the Simpson story only takes on its full poignancy when you look at the years leading up to his death. What should have been glorious and lucrative couple of years after his World Champs win were scuppered by bad luck and this 67 Tour was an attempt to salvage something while there as time before retirement and yet he was further burdened by both illness and the race being run with national teams rather than trade teams.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    I've been told by a friend, who is a huge fan of Shane Meadows, that Netflix have come on board and that this movie is finally likely to be made.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,593

He was one of the This Is England gang too. He's a good double tbf. :)

Hope this all comes off.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    edited August 2020
    Should be good
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,733
    Tom Simpson's story was one of the things that got me into cycling and Dead Man's Shoes is one of my favourite films despite it's flaws. Probably too much to hope for that this will be as good as it promises but fingers crossed.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408

You don't watch many films do you?
  • 50x11 said:

You don't watch many films do you?
    He hasn't been on here for six years... just in case you were expecting an answer.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    Best news of 2020! :p
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099

Hope this all comes off.
    Joe Gilgun (This is England, Misfits) has the part apparently.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    DeadCalm said:

Hope this all comes off.
    Joe Gilgun (This is England, Misfits) has the part apparently.

He looks the part

Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,733
    Excellent
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]