Food for thought

Triban Man
Triban Man Posts: 35
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
What do you eat and drink before, during and after cycling?

Have been going with energy bars or energy gels and a High5 tab in my water bottle up until now.

But I definitely hit a wall after about 25 miles on Saturday.

Any tips?

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    My tip is to search the forum. There are loads of threads on this topic.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Yesterday I went out and did 50 mile ride, got a PB time (2hr 26)....

Pre ride:
    12pm I ate: Ham & Brie sandwich, bag of crisps & banana (with a pint of water)

1pm I drank a cup of tea (milk, no sugar)

3pm I ate a ring doughnut (with cup'o tea and a pint of water)

4pm I went for a ride, on the bike I had 1x 750ml bottle with water, I drank about 500ml during the ride.

Food is important if you are going to ride a long time on the bike, for anything less than 3 hours on the bike, it's really not that important in my opinion, so long as you are well hydrated before you set off.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433

Pre ride:

4pm I went for a ride, on the bike I had 1x 750ml bottle with water, I drank about 500ml during the ride.

Food is important if you are going to ride a long time on the bike, for anything less than 3 hours on the bike, it's really not that important in my opinion, so long as you are well hydrated before you set off.

This +1

I sometimes take a few sweets, sort of mini rewards for distances etc.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    Get fitter. This is about your fitness level not about your energy intake. What you had should be perfectly adequate for a 25 mile ride.
    I did a 25 mile ride last week in burning hot sun (well the UK equivalent :wink: ) and forgot to even take water with me. I made it OK without flagging although I had a dry mouth at times. I could not have remotely done this 12 months ago when my fitness levels were much lower.
    Just ride and get conditioned to it.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449

Pre ride:

You did 50 miles in the same time it took me to do 30 on Saturday :lol:

To keep on topic, I had a gel on that ride but only because I ran out of water half way round and the shop I intended to get more at was closed and I wanted to make up for a lack of water making me run out of energy.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    suzyb wrote:

Pre ride:

You did 50 miles in the same time it took me to do 30 on Saturday :lol:

If you live in an area with no hills it’s not that hard ;-)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Triban Man wrote:
    Have been going with energy bars or energy gels and a High5 tab in my water bottle up until now.
    Any tips?

yup - cut out the energy bars & gels ...

hydro drink in the water bottle if you must - I usually have just water - or a squash if it's a longer ride.

You need to train your body to use the energy reserves it has - plenty in there - then when it matters (planned fast/long ride/race/sportive/audax) you can give it a boost with the bars/gels ..
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039

I would say this is also true for me. What it looks like you are experiencing is the limit of your endurance/stamina levels rather that fuel shortage. Its like that when you are starting out. I can remember the first time I went over 30 miles and I pretty much pedalled squares for 10 miles. Unfortunately there is little substitute for time in the saddle. Decent bib shorts also make a big difference to your comfort and that can indirectly help with endurance. Keep going and it will improve.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Triban Man wrote:

Doubtfull.

A "normal" diet (without energy gels and energy bars) should be more than enough for about 2hrs (depending on intensity), over 2hrs I start thinking about taking food with me.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Yes take a pro active attitude to food/drink on the day of a ride but pay attention the rest of the week, especially for rides which push your limit (10 miles or 110 miles )
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    danowat wrote:
    Triban Man wrote:

Doubtfull.

A "normal" diet (without energy gels and energy bars) should be more than enough for about 2hrs (depending on intensity), over 2hrs I start thinking about taking food with me.
    Why doubtful? Isn't 'hitting a wall' more of an expression? I'm not sure the OP is saying he bonked!!

But if he is saying he bonked then I agree with danowat!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Triban Man
    Triban Man Posts: 35
    Thanks for responses. Some interesting points made.
    When I said "hit a wall" it was, indeed, a turn of phrase. I meant started flagging badly. I still finished. Just not very impressively or comfortably.
    I hadn't bothered with any breakfast. Hence, I asked what was good to eat before a ride as well as during and after.
    Did a 50 miler with 6,000 ft of ascent on Monday night with two energy gels and a High5 tab in 750ml water bottle and had no problems.
    Some excellent reading on nutrition on here and elsewhere online.
    New to this malarkey. Am keen for whatever advice and tips more experienced cyclists can give me.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Triban Man wrote:

You said it all
    1. New to this malarkey
    2. I hadn't bothered with any breakfast
    3. I meant started flagging badly.

Bit risky for a new rider to miss breakfast but in time as you build up your stamina you'll be able to ride all day on a current bun. :D
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Bike might be easier ...
  • gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    I find a decent sized bowl of alpen for breakfast before I go gives me loads of energy...can do up to 40 miles and still feel pretty good at the end of it,just a 750ml bottle of squash as a drink with me.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida