60/40 tyres

JonesNick
JonesNick Posts: 33
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys.
New to mountain biking but finding I'm using my hoodoo more on the road than off road.
Need abit of advice on what tyres would be ideal for me and even a website to purchase them of would be greatly appreciated
I use my bike 60 % on road n 40% off road.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    When you do go off road what kinds conditions do you ride in and what terrain?

If you only ride when its dry and on smoothish paths then you should be fine with a semi slick tyre. I don't have much experience with them so can't recommend any but if you stick with the big brands you won't go far wrong.

If you're riding off road in damp conditions too and trails that are rougher than a smooth path look at something like a Kenda Small block8 or Maxxis Larsen.

Have a look at Chain Reaction Cycles or Wiggle or Merlin or Next Day Tyres and see what they have discounted.
  • JonesNick
    I cycle on paths, road and fine stone track not really been on trails. I intend to use them in wet and dry conditions.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There are a few options, those mentioned above, Schwalbe sammy slick as well, Kenda make one similar as I have one in the shed!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Sounds like a semi slick design should be fine for your needs.

Try the suggestions above. Or see what's on sale and have a quick web search to see if there are any press reviews on the tyre.
  • JonesNick
    The kenda look very good! Do I go for th tubeless or what? Kinda a novice so have no idea.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not unless you have a tubeless setup already.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools