1 x 10

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited June 2013 in Workshop
If I was to run a single front chain ring (track crank) and a 10 speed rear, would I need anything on the front to hold the chain in place (i.e a front derailuer).
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    no, but sometimes it helps. on the road you might be fine. i had a cross bike which i used offroad a little and i fitted an old mech fixed in place to help keep the chain on over the bumps
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    +1

I run a single ring on my commuter (1x9) and run a lightweight BBG bash and a N-gear jump stop but for normal riding they never really do much. If you ran a dedicated single ring then you'll be fine on normal roads pretty much all the time. If you ride on rougher surfaces then you'll drop the chain occasionally.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Ask David Millar and his experiences in the Tour prologue a while back...

1x10 is pretty popular in CX, and generally folks use a chainring guard outside and a chain guide/catcher on the inside. A proper single speed chainring will have straight cut teeth with no ramps / profiling to ease shifting, so is less likely to unship the chain. I ran 1x9 on an MTB for a while with no guides and it was always coming off at the least convenient moments.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Any suggestions on chain guide?

Alos i have been thinging about the chain line? Will this be an issue?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    as said, BBG bash and ngear jumpstop is a good value option.

K-edge do a range of guides but they are more £

Hope also do guides which may work.

Fit the c/ring in the inner position, bash in outer, and chainline will be fine.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer