Painful lessons learnt

richp77
richp77 Posts: 12
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
I've just completed what for me was a pretty heavy duty day of hill climbing and thought I'd share the painful experience. Hilly sportive here in Cyprus, felt good at the start, well fueled and not too hot, legs feeling good, brand new bike with a 28 tooth rear cassette, what could possibly go wrong? We had about 20km of neutral zone before a quick regroup and the start of the timed section. No problems so far.
The 'race' begins and feeling good, I set off like an absolute cretin. All the plans of riding at my own pace, not getting excited, not caring how many people passed me, all went completely out of the window as I rode like a complete tool, trying to stay with the leading group of 5 or so riders. This went well for about 4km, then with heart rate already at about 180 I realised the error of my enthusiasm and lack of ability as the road turned upwards. I then spent the next 10km or so trying to reign in my racing heart to a susatinable 160 or so.
I struggled through to the finish, happy to complete, especially given it's the first time I'd ridden over 1000m altitiude but disappointed knowing that a more controlled start would have made for a far more enjoyable ride.

After the finish it was 3.5km downhill cruise to the main square. Followed a couple of guys down, braked far too hard on a right hander, locked both wheels and smashed into a crash barrier, cut hand, bruised ribs, grazed leg. Livid with myself and frankly embarassed. Expensive lesson learnt that I need to concentrate at all times. 2 new levers required, negating any discount on the bike and a trip to the jewellers to have my wedding ring put back together as it needed cutting off. On the plus side, no other damage to the bike and it could have been a lot worse.

So a mixed day all round, but for all the suffering the achievement of reaching the highest point on the island wins, gutted I have to wait a week to get back on the bike.

here's the link:

http://app.strava.com/activities/58970715

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Glad to here your ok first of all.Nice write up and lessons for others in there,myself included with my first sportive approaching.Good climbing though looks tough one.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Thanks for sharing... Write out 100 times sportive is not a race!
  • socistep
    socistep Posts: 88
    RichP77 wrote:
    I've just completed what for me was a pretty heavy duty day of hill climbing and thought I'd share the painful experience. Hilly sportive here in Cyprus, felt good at the start, well fueled and not too hot, legs feeling good, brand new bike with a 28 tooth rear cassette, what could possibly go wrong? We had about 20km of neutral zone before a quick regroup and the start of the timed section. No problems so far.
    The 'race' begins and feeling good, I set off like an absolute cretin. All the plans of riding at my own pace, not getting excited, not caring how many people passed me, all went completely out of the window as I rode like a complete tool, trying to stay with the leading group of 5 or so riders. This went well for about 4km, then with heart rate already at about 180 I realised the error of my enthusiasm and lack of ability as the road turned upwards. I then spent the next 10km or so trying to reign in my racing heart to a susatinable 160 or so.
    I struggled through to the finish, happy to complete, especially given it's the first time I'd ridden over 1000m altitiude but disappointed knowing that a more controlled start would have made for a far more enjoyable ride.

After the finish it was 3.5km downhill cruise to the main square. Followed a couple of guys down, braked far too hard on a right hander, locked both wheels and smashed into a crash barrier, cut hand, bruised ribs, grazed leg. Livid with myself and frankly embarassed. Expensive lesson learnt that I need to concentrate at all times. 2 new levers required, negating any discount on the bike and a trip to the jewellers to have my wedding ring put back together as it needed cutting off. On the plus side, no other damage to the bike and it could have been a lot worse.

So a mixed day all round, but for all the suffering the achievement of reaching the highest point on the island wins, gutted I have to wait a week to get back on the bike.

here's the link:

http://app.strava.com/activities/58970715

Hi Richard

Slightly related, I'm looking at a family holiday in Cyprus in September and wanted to do a day or two road cycling, this looks a great route, do you have any tips on hiring bikes etc. in Cyprus or had you taken your own

thanks
    Ian
  • richp77
    richp77 Posts: 12
    Thanks guys, just a basic lack of control both mentally and on the bike, so frustrating

Ian, will pm you some options now

Rich