no point spec'ing out my bike ever.

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited June 2013 in MTB general
jus looking at new parts jus noticed how very expensive they are and then how cheap my bike was some of the parts especially forks are like 3x/4x times more then I payed for my entire bike I don't think they will make the value 4x times higher either. so I decided I am going jus ride this bike into the ground and jus carry on doing the maintenance until it gets to a stage where expensive bits needs replacing then jus buy another bike. and either trade the other one in or sell it cheap.

Comments

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    And if you wait while you're riding the old one into the ground, you can pick up the parts for the new one while you're waiting. I've been buying my next bike for the last year and haven't paid full price for more than one or two bits (the grips and the headset, control cables and chain, as I recall)
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    forks are like 3x/4x times more then I payed for my entire bike I don't think they will make the value 4x times higher either

no it wont - putting a £250 fork on will not increase the bikes value by £250 - if that were the case my 2006 Rockhopper would be worth about £1,200 !!
    Giraffoto wrote:
    I've been buying my next bike for the last year and haven't paid full price for more than one or two bits

+1

Also been buying my next bike for a year now. Keep my eyes peeled and when a bargain pops up, grab it!

(gutted I missed the KS droppers from Superstar for £120 but still hadn't decided on the frame so would've been a gamble)

Saying that - of course it still could (and probably would) be cheaper to buy a fully built bike from the outset with some of the deals around on sites like Paul's Cycles (and others) but 1/ you don't get the exact spec you want, 2/ you'd have to pay for it all in one go (unless you like getting things on credit which I don't)...and 3/ where's the fun it that :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    but with some intelligent purchases you can put together a nice bike for a decent price. my cove stiffee with rock shox sektors, full slx group set and superstar wheels set me back about £550 :D
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    welshkev wrote:
    intelligent

There's your problem
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    ... forks are like 3x/4x times more then I payed for my entire bike I don't think they will make the value 4x times higher either....

I don't buy components to make my bike more valuable. I buy them to get better performance. Whether that's better handling, lower weight or different features etc but never to increase the value of my bike.

Also are you looking at RRP prices? as already said if you wait a bit and shop around you can usually find things for much cheaper than RRP.

But unless you get particularly good bargains buying a full bike is usually cheaper than building it your self especially if you buy from one of the bigger brands or one of the self distributed brands.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    If you're looking at top end stuff, remember that Deore - SLX offers exceptional performance for your money.
  • welshkev
    If you're looking at top end stuff, remember that Deore - SLX offers exceptional performance for your money.

this. I've been running it for years and it's been great and when I bent my rear mech all out of shape it was only £35 to replace :D
  • Anonymous
    having fun on this one atm. but I definitely used some better wheels and forks. im riding mostly trails and a few light jumps . but my wheels which came on bike where pretty cheap and are getting a bit buckled. considering the entire bike was only £145.my current forks are suntour XCT V3's with mech lockout 100mm travel which are doing fine so far but the lockout mechanism is going and they come unlock on there own some time.

I've never fitted a new wheel yet alone new forks.

I have shimano lock disc's I think (theres no bolts ) which I can see

wheels no idea there not gr8 thou
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    If your wheels are buckled and you're doing 'light jumps,' might be wise to sort them before you lose your face.
  • welshkev
    why do you really need to use your lock out on the forks though? I only used to use mine if I was doing a lot of road riding: i.e commuting to work.

what bike is it? i'm guessing a GT avalanche :lol:
  • Anonymous
    welshkev wrote:
    why do you really need to use your lock out on the forks though? I only used to use mine if I was doing a lot of road riding: i.e commuting to work.what bike is it? i'm guessing a GT avalanche :lol:

its was built buy a car company as a prize I think who knows.
    I don't cycle to work no where much to leave the bike securely. I see your point i'd might as jus leave them unlocked. I only lock them when cycling to forest's and such only bout 5 mile or so. bout 3 mile or so down a road 2 mile thou a village

ill find a picture. behold PEUGEOT URBANITE 3.0 mountain bike

HzeJN80.jpg
  • welshkev
    if it does what you want apart from wheel and forks then just replace them cheaply. brand new set of superstar wheels is only £130. new rock shox recon silver tk's, about £115?

or buy second hand :)
  • Anonymous
    ste_t wrote:
    If your wheels are buckled and you're doing 'light jumps,' might be wise to sort them before you lose your face.

there not entirely buckled they jus aint entirely straight no more they don't catch or anything. :lol:
  • Anonymous
    welshkev wrote:
    if it does what you want apart from wheel and forks then just replace them cheaply. brand new set of superstar wheels is only £130. new rock shox recon silver tk's, about £115?

£245

another £60 and I can have a new rock rider LOL. I think im going to possibly look for some cheap wheels while thinking about maybe saving up for a full sus which will handle better
  • welshkev
    welshkev wrote:

£245

another £60 and I can have a new rock rider LOL. I think im going to possibly look for some cheap wheels while thinking about maybe saving up for a full sus which will handle better

but then you'd be paying out £300 for a bike you'd have to upgrade again in a years time as it's a budget entry level bike. the parts I stated will last you a lot longer, be stronger and perform better
  • Anonymous
    I see your logic. thanks

ill probably keep an eye out for cheaper parts on here.

skint this payday.

probably start looking next month

probably gonna save towards a full suspension bike as well.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Mmm... a mountain bike with the word 'Urban' in it's name... Good thinking Peugeot.
  • Anonymous
    Mmm... a mountain bike with the word 'Urban' in it's name... Good thinking Peugeot.

quite a few company's are like that thou if you think
  • Chunkers1980
    May I refer you to this thread? So full of fail here it is literally stupid. Interesting read. Everything we tried to tell you is now coming back at you

viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12914056&hilit=Recreational
  • welshkev
    I didn't realise that thread had gone on :roll:
  • Anonymous
    can we not delete this and put it down to me being a noob.

im getting the hang on this mtb shit. so far I understand you buy a bike a semi decent then spent money upgrading up.
    I think then you go out and enjoy to the next upgrade comes out then upgrade and repeat.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Or just buy a bike that suits and do little upgrading. There is no one way to do it. But the worst thing to do is buy a bag of spanners then upgrade nearly all the parts.
  • Anonymous
    supersonic wrote:
    Or just buy a bike that suits and do little upgrading. There is no one way to do it. But the worst thing to do is buy a bag of spanners then upgrade nearly all the parts.

I love my bike buts its not worth much I payed £142 on ebay for it but for a bit tougher off roading its needs upgrades new forks/wheels etc. but I don't wanna buy another because that's jus wastefull. I wanna try some more challenging stuff instead of sticking to jus red routes at places I wanna go for the black routes and not have to worry if the bike will survive to the end. also don't want to guilty of spec'ing out something worthless either.
    if sure there a thread about a guy who spent £600 on a Apollo something or other and he got laugh at a lot
    I know it seems stupid.

without putting to finer point on this is my bike a bag of spanners. should I jus ride it into the ground and invest in something better.?

wow I was a arse back then I jus looked sorry for that.
  • Anonymous
    before this decents into a mess.

sorry for being a arse in the last that post you mentioned.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    there not entirely buckled they jus aint entirely straight no more they don't catch or anything. :lol:
    So worth learning to true them up them, the longer they run buckled the worse they will get as the forces aren't acting as they are meant to on the spokes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    without putting to finer point on this is my bike a bag of spanners. should I jus ride it into the ground and invest in something better.?
    Can't comment on the bag-of-spanners-ness, but yes you should just ride it into the ground while saving for something better
    wow I was a ars* back then I jus looked sorry for that.
    That's OK, and I'm sure everyone one else will be along shortly to individually forgive and forget. But while you're looking to improve yourself, please note that sentences and names begin with capitals, and the word "just" ends with a "t". And it's "Too fine a point"
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Chunkers1980

should I jus ride it into the ground and invest in something better.?

You should have invested in something better in the first place when we told you. The £300 RR frinstance.

It was "only" £140 more than yours which will turn into a bag of spanners and it not really worth upgrading.

You mentioned the guy who bought the Apollo and upgraded that and got ribbed. Yes for the frame being useless. What you need to understand is a bike is built around a frame, that frame does not need to be amazing, just of a good enough standard with the relevant fitments to take modern equiptment.
  • Anonymous
    ok ive decided im gonna use my current bike for this month then maybe look into to saving for something with full suspension yes I know I should of taken your advice in the first place but I dindnt think cos I was a noob lesson learnt.
  • Chunkers1980
    Get FS out of your mind. You need to spend at least £800 to make it worth it.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    ok ive decided im gonna use my current bike for this month then maybe look into to saving for something with full suspension yes I know I should have taken your advice in the first place but I dindnt think cos I was a noob lesson learnt.

If you buy a cheap FS you'll just be in the same posistion with a full sus.