Which trail bike?

desmojen
desmojen Posts: 136
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
So I've been musing lately on the subject of a new trail bike, and I'm looking for some input. I currently ride a 2009 Giant Trance X, which I run with a 140mm fork. It's a fabulous bike, and I honestly love it. But. I've been riding the big (DH) bike a lot lately, and every time I get back on the Trance it feels horrible, all wobbly and spindly. Clearly I don't want to ride the DH bike on trails, but is it even realistic to expect a similarly planted feel from a trail bike?

I'm not looking to go much bigger travel wise, as I don't see that as the big get out clause that so many riders do. I am also quite bad at climbing, so I don't want to make things even harder for myself. I want something with 130-140mm of travel, that I can build to 28lbs or less without spending stupid money. Any suggestions?

Jen.

Comments

• calvyb81
    calvyb81 Posts: 1
    what about a orange 5? you could use it for DH as well as trails
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Stupid money is relative.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    You could build a 5 to 28lb I'm sure, but not for non-stupid money.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Only if you can find a light bridge.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    The new spesh stumpy evo looks awesome, pretty much what you describe but 150mm travel and I'd imagine pretty light. The angles look spot on, like a mini downhill bike. I've not tried one, but I'd love to.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • desmojen
    What is it that makes a Five heavy? My Trance is running a coil fork and dropper post and is still this side of 29lbs. By stupid, I mean that I don't want to have to XTR/XX everything and then drill all the bolts.
    The Stumpy could be worth a look, I've never enjoyed a Specialized yet, but I've heard some ravings about the new Stumpy. I will be interested to see what the new Giants end up like, the prototypes shown in the press recently looked promising.

Jen.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    desmojen wrote:
    What is it that makes a Five heavy? My Trance is running a coil fork and dropper post and is still this side of 29lbs.

I weighed a 2013 Trance X2 (size medium) in my local shop last week, and that tipped the scales at a whisker over 14kg (30.8lbs), with Fox air fork and no dropper post.
  • desmojen
    Mine is a small, running Easton Haven wheels tubelessly, carbon bars and 2x9. I would thus expect it to be lighter than a stock X2 in medium.

Jen.
  • Kowalski675
    desmojen wrote:
    Mine is a small, running Easton Haven wheels tubelessly, carbon bars and 2x9. I would thus expect it to be lighter than a stock X2 in medium.

Jen.

Indeed - you need to be more specific next time, lol :wink: I really do like the X2 in my local shop though, it does look lush in those GSXR-like colours, and the Trances always seem to get good write ups.
  • desmojen
    It is a genuinely great bike, a couple of people from my club have bought them after riding mine. I may well even keep it, because if I went for a new Five with 650B wheels, very little of it would cross over. I think with a non dropper post and a an air fork back on, it would be a far better pure XC bike than a Five.
    My complaints here are just niggles really, and like I said in the beginning, I'm not sure if my expectations are even realistic. This is why I posted though, hoping some others who also ride DH might see where I'm coming from :)

Jen.
  • Kowalski675
    I'm hoping they'll discount it heavily when the 2014 bikes land (until recently they had a 2012 Anthem X2 with over £500 off rrp).

Is your site name a Ducati reference?
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I'm hoping they'll discount it heavily when the 2014 bikes land (until recently they had a 2012 Anthem X2 with over £500 off rrp).

You'd be better of grabbing a 2011 Model from Paul's cycles whilst they have them.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • desmojen

Yes it is, I owned a couple of Ducati's a few years back and the name has just stuck. Got to agree on the colours on some of this years Giants, the Reign 1 looks very Suzuki, and also virtually matches my Glory :)

Jen.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Rocky Mountain Slayer or a Spesh Enduro? More that your stated travel but both climb amazingly well and descend like mini-DH bikes
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • 97th choice
    Or the stumpjumper comp evo.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • felix.london
    no mention of budget so kinda hard...

Trek Session 8
  • 97th choice
    £800, carrera banshee. Stick the rest on the lottery.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I don't think you'll geta trail bike any more competant than your Giant Trance x
  • Grovsie29
    Grovsie29 Posts: 116
    What bars/stem you got on the Trance?
  • Kowalski675

You'd be better of grabbing a 2011 Model from Paul's cycles whilst they have them.

2013 is better specced and better looking.
  • Kowalski675
    desmojen wrote:

Yes it is, I owned a couple of Ducati's a few years back and the name has just stuck. Got to agree on the colours on some of this years Giants, the Reign 1 looks very Suzuki, and also virtually matches my Glory :)

Jen.

Figured it must be. I had a 748S for a while a few years back. I think the 2013 Trance X2 looks lush in the white/black/blue, and would match my riding clothing, lol.
  • 97th choice

Disagree, although I'll concede it's close. but CTD is unreliable at the moment.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Kowalski675

Disagree, although I'll concede it's close. but CTD is unreliable at the moment.

Looks are subjective, and I don't know the intricacies of how the suspension internals compare (I like the CTD levers though), but the rest of the spec list on the 2013 is definitely better, assuming you're looking at the 2011 X3 (looks like they've sold the 2011 X2 they had on the site recently).
  • 97th choice
    Nope, was talking about the 2011 x2 which was the same price and still available when I posted, iirc

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Kowalski675
    Nope, was talking about the 2011 x2 which was the same price and still available when I posted, iirc

The X2 was £1499, but it's gone, disappeared of the website a few days ago (the X3 is £1429). Still didn't look as nice as the 2013 either, lol (but nice enough).
  • felix.london
    supersonic wrote:
    I don't think you'll geta trail bike any more competant than your Giant Trance x

Indeed. Not sure if the OP has left the building but really you want something that sits in between your Trance X and your DH rig so some kid of 160mm AM/Enduro bike would fit the bill surely?

If you're just after a frame to build up I don't think you can go wrong with one of these;

http://www.bikeunit.de/fahrradteile/rahmen/votec-vsx-enduro-165-mm-rahmen-eloxiert-schwarz/328811.html

Votec V.SX Enduro, geo is nearly identical to the Rocky Mountain Slayer, which is one of the nicest bikes I've ridden, decent weight and looks awesome. All for well under £700...what's not to like?

Trek Session 8
  • desmojen
    Sorry, had a frantic couple of days here :)

Yes, something a bit beefier than the Trance I think. Well I should say steadier rather than beefier since the Trance is quite twitchy at speed. The new Orange Five is a front runner, although I'm not sure I really want to go single pivot after years of riding Maestro. The other one I really like the look of is the Santa Cruz Solo, so I guess the ultimate budget is getting on for 2k.

It is true that there isn't much wrong with the bike I have got though. I'm going to change the handlebars again and see if that helps me, currently running Easton Haven stem and Haven carbon bars (someone asked).

Jen.
  • Grovsie29
    Grovsie29 Posts: 116
    Nukeproof Mega AM?
  • Kowalski675
    Canyon Strive?
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Transition Bandit. All the pros of the Trance but in a much stiffer package that's also much better DH. Connoisseur's Choice remember ;)

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-transition-bandit-2-12-46429 - doesn't the headline on this link more or less answer your question?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris