Strava - input time for dalby loop 1.54.52

jon1993
jon1993 Posts: 596
edited June 2013 in MTB general
I just downloaded Strava after doing my first timed run today at 1.54.52 all be it not an exact time as I had a couple of min's to put my phone in my bag, get it out at the end and have a drink at 2 points along the trail. Anyway I wanted to put it into the competition thing for Dalby Forest red so how do I put it in there as I would be in 16th I think anyone have any ideas???? Thanks
Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
Giant Faith 2 DH bike
Boardman pro 2011
Boardman team carbon 2010
Carrera kracken 2009
Specialized fsr pro 2009
Haro custom build
Cannondale custom build

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    On your phone?

Turn Strava on.
    Press start ride.
    Press finish ride.
    Upload ride.
  • jon1993
    That is what I did at the start gate near the visitors centre but it doesn't look like its actually started until the next section (go snake) but it still says I have done 21.5 miles whereas the logged one for everyone else says 20.9 so does it match the route but surely it should be shorter than other peoples? So the recorded red route segment should match itself to the red route segment everyone else recorded but it hasn't because of my rubbish GPS on my phone I am assuming?
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • mcnultycop
    You may just have deviated from the route set up as the segment slightly.

Log on Strava on a pc and compare your ride with the segment. You may have inadvertently cut a corner or part of the route could be closed.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    mcnultycop wrote:
    You may just have deviated from the route set up as the segment slightly.

Log on Strava on a pc and compare your ride with the segment. You may have inadvertently cut a corner or part of the route could be closed.

This, or the phone GPS signal wasn't strong enough or dropped at some point. When I compare my phone route to garmin routes they're often markedly different, with the phone jumping around rather erratically.
  • jon1993
    I have just gone around every inch and matched both of them to each other and there both pretty much the same thing so the slight variation must be just the inaccuracies all adding up together, guess im going to have to get an actual gps unit if I want to time myself against others, Thanks a lot :)
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • mcnultycop
    I've never noticed any difference between iPhone and Garmin Forerunner. I prefer the Garmin though as it means I can just lock my phone away in my bag and not worry getting it dirty/broken, plus I know I am not hammering the phone battery so I can make a call if I crash.
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    mcnultycop wrote:
    I've never noticed any difference between iPhone and Garmin Forerunner.

Mine was 30 seconds faster on the iphone than my forerunner on ladybower loop!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Stop obsessing and ride your bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools