Bottom Bracket Play

desmorrow
desmorrow Posts: 115
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi
Just back from a ride and noticed a fair bit of play which I assume is from the bottom bracket. Cranks are well tightened in but when you shake them, you feel some play. Also you can hear a faint knocking noise then you peddle. How serious a problem is this? Does it damage bike or is it dangerous to ride in such a condition? I've heard of guys cycling on for a while but at what stage do you need to change over.

Never changed a BB so trying to postpone it as long as poss lol

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What BB? Etc.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    if it's a modern external bearing BB then you can adjust it (certainly on shimano you can)

if it's a square taper or octalink new BB time - but check the BB is tight in the frame and it's not come loose first
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You can’t adjust a Shimano HTII BB. You can preload the bearings, but once they are dead they are dead, you can’t adjust play out
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Hi, if it is a external bb (which I have) then once they start having play in them I try tightening it and if there's still play then I bin it and buy a new one. You can buy a new xt ht bb for around £30 on ebay. External bbs only last a couple of years of hard riding.

Easy to replace aswell.

You won't damage your bike but it may cause problems down the line.

Hope this helps.

Ash
  • desmorrow
    desmorrow Posts: 115
    Hi,
    Just worked out what BB it was - it's a
    SRAM GXP Team BB Cups

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=55194

Like I said, there's currently some play in the cranks so how critical is it to replace this?

And is this decent value for money or are there just as good cheaper alternatives? Sorry - know absolutely nothing about BB's!!!
  • desmorrow wrote:
    Hi,
    Just worked out what BB it was - it's a
    SRAM GXP Team BB Cups

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=55194

Like I said, there's currently some play in the cranks so how critical is it to replace this?

And is this decent value for money or are there just as good cheaper alternatives? Sorry - know absolutely nothing about BB's!!!

Hi again I would probably just get it replaced at that price, just to be on the safe side. If you leave it then your bb will get more and more play and then who knows what could happen.

Just get it repaired. :D