Locks !

Samc1234567890
Samc1234567890 Posts: 33
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi i just bought a new specialized and want to know a really good fairly cheap lock or ways of not getting it stolen lol

[admin] topic moved to the correct forum. Topic cleaned up of extra code which you failed to use correctly. Concentrate more on the correct place to post and ask clear questions rather that big letters and colours[/admin]

Comments

• Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    Buy the best you can afford. Some have a guarantee and say it's near impossible to break, look for these.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Buy two high end Kryptonites if you have to leave it anywhere, but I would not leave it anywhere risky.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No such thing as a good cheap lock. A cheap lock will take 3 seconds to break, a really good expensive one a minute or two.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Best lock is that on your front door!

You can't leave a decent bike protected by just a long and be sure of ever seeing it again.

My commuter is protected by a motorcycle chain at work, it weighs more than the bike and has a heavy duty cable (12mm) through the wheels, just about adequate for a £400 bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    cooldad wrote:
    No such thing as a good cheap lock.

Just what I was going to say. The best ones come from Almax and Pragmasis - guaranteed impervious to bolt croppers (even Irwin Records, which are the pro thiefs' weapon of choice).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    my bikes not worth a massive amount.

I still use a motorbike chain. :) it weights a fair bit.
  • The Rookie
    cooldad wrote:
    No such thing as a good cheap lock.

Just what I was going to say. The best ones come from Almax and Pragmasis - guaranteed impervious to bolt croppers (even Irwin Records, which are the pro thiefs' weapon of choice).
    Err no, bottle jacks which the most expensive are not impervious to, so your back to how long can you afford to delay them.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    A few heavy duty locks will put them off.

I ride to work and even though the underground car park is secure, i still use two heavy duty locks in the bike racks and the rest of peoples bikes could be knicked with a pair of pilers the locks are that thin.
  • Kowalski675
    my bikes not worth a massive amount.

I still use a motorbike chain. :) it weights a fair bit.

Most motorcycle chains (even ones costing well over £100) can be cut in seconds with a pair of Irwin Record 42" bolty croppers (the pro's most common weapon of choice) or portable hydraulic croppers. Only the 16/19mm chains from Pragmasis or Almax can stop those - chains like the Oxford Monster (for example) cost over £100, but the Records make short work of them (watch the videos on ALmax's website to see just how little protection you're buying with most chains). The 19mm Pragmasis chain weighs in at 6.3kg per metre, and their 16/19mm chains are the only ones on the market that are rated Sold Secure caravan gold standard. The only things that they'll get through those with will wake up the whole street.
  • The Rookie
    Quit with the pro's weapon of choice stuff, for D-locks they use a bottle jack...

Nothing is secure that you can carry on a bike.

Usually only need your bike to be more secure than at least one other bike in the same place!
  • Kowalski675
    Quit with the pro's weapon of choice stuff, for D-locks they use a bottle jack...

Nothing is secure that you can carry on a bike.

Usually only need your bike to be more secure than at least one other bike in the same place!

The records are the pro's weapon of choice - they're the biggest, baddest bolt croppers you can buy, and the go to tool for thieves everywhere. Why would you be securing anything of any serious value with a D lock anyway. The big chains aren't meant for carrying on a bike - they're for security in your garage, where most bikes (either those with pedals or those with engines) get stolen from.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    you and your wepon's of choice .....
  • The Rookie
    When faced with a D-lock, they use bottle jacks, not bolt croppers - FACT.
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    When faced with a D-lock.

I agree facing a thief with a d-lock should do it.

I'm sure I've heard before as a rule of thumb to spend 10% of the bikes worth on security.
  • acac
    acac Posts: 348
    best thing to do is leave your pride and joy at locked up at home only use it when out on bike ride.
    then keep it with you at all times take what you need on bike ride.
    then you dont have to stop of any where.
    get a cheap crap bike to use to get about and to work.
    thats what i do.
    play hard ride hard
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,890

If you know how to lock your bike up properly they won't be able to use a bottle jack anyway.
  • Kowalski675

D-Locks are shite - FACT.

Most older ones can be opened with a Bic biro.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    you can't pop open the Abus Granite or Kryptonite new york with a biro

get the new york /fahgettaboutit mini (or ideally two) and make sure the lock is snug against the bike and sheffield stand so they can't get the bottle jack in to pop them

get a ratty old piece of cxxp for leaving in public places

nothing is totally impregnable...
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • The Rookie
    anj132 wrote:
    I'm sure I've heard before as a rule of thumb to spend 10% of the bikes worth on security.
    More like 25%!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I rarely leave my bikes anywhere - usually at the pub, where I can check on it regularly, and even then I use a Kryptonite NY3000.

At home they are in the house.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    anj132 wrote:
    More like 25%!

Bike - 1500
    Anchor - 75
    Kryptonite 75
    Chain - 100
    4 lever lock for shed 40

Cost od security 19.3%

So for me it was not 10% and this is all fairly basic protection!
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll: