Old fork

christopher247
christopher247 Posts: 68
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

My bike and suspension fork are 11 years old. I've never serviced the fork in that time, and was wondering whether there are any safety issues to consider?

I ride the bike mainly on the road these days, with some mild off-road riding once a year. The fork seems to have some bounce in it so it is working, and it feels fine overall.

I'm tidying up my bike in general, and was wondering whether the fork was something else I should try to service, or whether it's ok to leave given the type of riding I do.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it all depends on what these 11 year old forks are.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The fork is an" "In-Sync Exceed 266" (Fork Material Aluminum, single triple-clamp crown..taken from bikepedia just now!)

The bike cost about £350 then - ie quite low end...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I doubt you will find anywhere to service it, or the parts. I had a similar one and when I took it apart lots of rusty mangled bit of metal and rubber fell out, along with some nasty looking water.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    safty issues: maybe some nasty bacteria in it but as above. I would use as is.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks!