Audax respect

thegreatdivide
thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
edited June 2013 in Road general
I rode 112 miles on Saturday with two ascents of the Cairn O Mount (7/10 in the 100 Greatest*) as part of the 2013 Velominati Scottish Coggle (my mate’s a hardcore member and organised the event - I broke plenty of the Rules ;-)).

Anyway, after tackling the brutal South side we reconvened at the summit. While waiting for some fellow riders we were passed by one of the many folk taking part in a 600 km Audax. One guy was on a single speed. I felt humbled.

If he’d had a full beard and sandals (SPD’s optional) I’d have thrown my bike over the side.

*It should be much more than 7/10 TBH as it’s longer and higher than The Lecht.

Comments

• marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    I have been following their exploits as an audax newbie - after softening themselves up on Cairn O' Mount and Glenshee they headed for the borders for some more brutal climbs - the 600K route included over 7000 metres climbing. :shock:
  • Respect indeed, especially those who cycle more on one day than most do in a week.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I rode 112 miles on Saturday with two ascents of the Cairn O Mount (7/10 in the 100 Greatest*) as part of the 2013 Velominati Scottish Coggle (my mate’s a hardcore member and organised the event - I broke plenty of the Rules ;-)).

Anyway, after tackling the brutal South side we reconvened at the summit. While waiting for some fellow riders we were passed by one of the many folk taking part in a 600 km Audax. One guy was on a single speed. I felt humbled.

If he’d had a full beard and sandals (SPD’s optional) I’d have thrown my bike over the side.

*It should be much more than 7/10 TBH as it’s longer and higher than The Lecht.

You sure it wasn't fixed? There are a few mainstay audaxers that only ride ride the 'ol fixed gear (think there were 3 on the BCM 600).
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Grill wrote:

You sure it wasn't fixed? There are a few mainstay audaxers that only ride ride the 'ol fixed gear (think there were 3 on the BCM 600).

arrr that's an event the BCM 600, good memories.
    how did you get on Grill. time to get around
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Grill
    BCM was great. I took more time than usual at the controls and even kipped at the hostel. I think total time was between 34-35 hours. Just a bit of practice for the Mersey Roads and LEL next month :)
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Sounds good Grill, first time i rode the chapman ,it was really a training exercise for the 24hr. Was back in Chepstow , finished by 9am. Absolutely destroyed me , each and every time i've ridden it , i've got slower.
    Eventually learnt to ride the first 400k really hard ,so would be back at Kings by about 9pm saturday night.
    Just as it was going dark, which in turn ment that i could get a full 8 hours kip , leave for chepstow about 7 am arriving mid afternoon , then ride home , another 120k getting home just before dark.
    720k in two days without lights , loved every minute of it .
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Grill
    Sounds like the best way to do it. TBH I was expecting the BCM to be much hillier and not nearly as fast so I held back. Toby knows better and was back at Chepstow around 8am waiting for someone to let him in!