Which wrist protector should i get?

pots74
pots74 Posts: 62
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
After a big crash yesterday, :oops: I'm sat here yet again off work with an extremely painful left wrist! :( After breaking it twice before I've finally decided to buy a wrist protector. I've had a look online and seen the troy lee, sixsixone and evs guards.
Are any of you using these guards and if so are they any good?

Thanks.
I have never been lost but I do admit to being confused for several weeks!

Specialized Enduro Expert EVO 2012

Comments

• dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I broke my wrist very badly and got a cheap 661 guard http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=47034 it's alright but not as comfy as it could be and probably wouldn't do much in a crash

I eventually decided I needed a better fix and got this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=75662 it's fantastic. My wrist used to stop me from riding for a full day but now my legs are gone before my wrist has. Yes it's expensive but it's worth every penny if you've had wrist problems (the OH2 version has the added benefit of a extension limit adjuster so you can stop you bending how you shouldn't)
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I've got one of those 661 wrist braces, really helped after I broke my wrist, though I don't tend to use it now.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • scarbs85
    scarbs85 Posts: 170
    I wear the sixsixone brace after breaking my wrist twice. Agree with dusk though, it's not the comfiest, and you end up tolerating it on long rides rather than forgetting it's there.
  • pots74
    pots74 Posts: 62
    Thanks for your replies. I'm now all plastered up after discovering I'd fractured my radius again. :cry:

It seems to be a common issue with the sixsixone guard re comfort. I had a look at the allsport dynamics brace but they're well outside my price range unfortunately.
    I've been looking at the troy lee designs 5205 it looks a bit more heavy duty and from the reviews better comfort. Anyone using one of these?

Thanks once again.
    I have never been lost but I do admit to being confused for several weeks!

Specialized Enduro Expert EVO 2012
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I once wore a pair of wrist protectors and they caused me far more pain and discomfort than they would have prevented. The angle they held the wrist at almost gave me repetitive strain injury.