Knackered Axle?

neilsmithson
neilsmithson Posts: 18
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All

New here just wanting a bit of advice

Over the weekend i replaced my brakes for some Avid BB7's

Whilst doing this i have obviously done something to my rear wheel.

Quick breakdown on what i have found so far.

when the wheel is mounted and turning the cassette seems to Roll (like a wobble but not as violent) the brake rotator does the same and as such rubs.

I have taken the wheel apart and i noticed that Cassette side of the wheel the axle is making this rolling motion so it isnt turning straight. The brake side turns fine.

I took the axle out and could not see any bend or buckle in it.

I did notice a very minor bend in the plate that holds the bearings in place (the bearings sit loose and its the plate that rolls over the top, apologies for nube terminology)

Is this likely to be the cause of the roll or is there likely to be something else?

Is it as simple as replacing the axle?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and the hub is?
    is it cone and cup or cartridge bearings?

and I think you have missed out a rather important word that would make the above make sense rather than be rather ambiguous.

please re read and add a not to that above.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Just spotted that, thanks.

As a noob im not 100% on this but doing a bit of googling it looks like a cone and cup job (the bearings are not in a catridge)

The Hub i believe is a shunfeng?

Many Thanks
  • nicklouse
    sounds like bearings need looking at.

a bent axel will not cause a wobble just a different axis of rotation.

cassettes do naturally have some wobble as normal.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Ok so an update on the above,

Over the weekend i replaced the bearings and whilst i was at it put a new axle in for good measure (all came as one so i thought why not)

same problem still exists however
    The problem is similar to this (note this is not my bike just mine has the same issue) but is more pronounced wobble and is affecting the brakes as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWZe8FFUlbw

I have seen many people mentioning poor machining on cheap hubs, this is a budget hub but would this be something that would start happening all of a sudden?

Thanks again for all your help.
  • nicklouse
    cassettes do wobble.

checked your rotor for bends?
  • Its a brand new rotor so no bends etc

The rubbing of the brakes is consistent with the wobble of the freewheel etc

The wobble i have is the same type of wobble as the video above but is much worse, i did notice it start to cause a bit of a jump with gears etc
  • I think my decision is made to upgrade/replace my hub.

Anyone know if these are any good?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390612493511? ... 1423.l2648
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The biggest problem is it says single speed and you have a cassette. By the time you've paid that much for a hub, probably bought new spokes, and had a new wheel built, assuming your rim is 36h, you might as well buy a new wheel.
    If that's what you need.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Apologies i may have used the wrong terminology here i have a freewheel not a cassette.

Rim is 36H and spokes should fit ok here as the hub appears to be the same size etc as my current hub

still not 100% certain that its the hub but after replacing bearings and axle with no joy this is my next port of call.

Thanks again for your help
  • cooldad
    I is still designed for single speed and a zero dish wheel. And is a silly price. What bike is it for?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ye i thought it was a bit pricey but was struggling to find a decent hub for a freewheel, seems pretty much everything is freehub now which i would love to upgrade to eventually but as its on 6speed freewheel at the mo would involve changing hub/wheel, Cassette and shifters to probably a 7 speed which i cant really afford at the moment.

Bike is a cheap arse boss Savage, been stripping some of the really bad parts out anyway as things need to be done to create a reasonable bike.

also seen the following which are a better price
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230806135564? ... 1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360618578957? ... 1423.l2649

Are they any good? price is much better just to get it going again

Cheers
  • cooldad
    Just buy something like this and save yourself a whole host of pain.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26-ALLOY-REAR ... 35c3ccf1be

First one that came up - you'll probably find cheaper.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools