gears slipping with pressure on pedals

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
my gears keep slipping whenever I put pressure on the pedals. recently I went for a long and off road ride when I go into the highest gear which is 24 and pedal forward standing up. I barely ever sit down . the gears seems to slip loads and jus make horrible noises.

I tried cleaning them but they slip loads when in the highest gear. there fine if I change down gears to lower gear thou :?:

Comments

• gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    stand behind your bike and look at the area where the mech feeds the chain onto the gears, and have a look to see if everything is all lined up. If the mech isnt feeding the chain onto the gear(s) properly then you may have to just make a slight adjustment with the barell adjustment on your shifter accordingly. Screw in = less tension, Screw out = more tension.

If everything is lined up, then it may just be a case of wear. Like your chain may have excessive wear, or that particular gear may have excessive wear. Possibly even your mech spring or jockey wheel but it is more unlikely.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    By highest gear I presume you mean largest chainwheel at the front and smallest sprocket at the rear?

Either the chain isn't alligned with the gears or the chain or sprocket or cassette is worn.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You do long rides in high gears standing up all the time?
    Respect - you must be Chuck Norris.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Are all the bits of the drivetrain the same age - chainrings, cassette and chain? And are they all relatively new? After a while your chain will wear, as will the sprockets on your cassette, and eventually the chainrings... then the gears will start to slip when under load, and if the cassette or chainrings are worn a new chain may even make things worse.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Anonymous
    cooldad wrote:
    You do long rides in high gears standing up all the time?
    Respect - you must be Chuck Norris.

im getting more athletic so its all good.

also fixed my gears the problem was with rear 8 set cassette the one used for the highest gear was very dirty so I cleaned in it well and re-greased it and took it for a run and it seems okay. :)
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You don't grease rings.
  • Anonymous
    it works fine so its all good
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    You don't grease rings.

I'll grease your ring
  • Anonymous
    TwellySmat wrote:
    You don't grease rings.

I'll grease your ring

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So probably just gunge trapped between the sprockets lifting the chain off the teeth.

Greasing is a sure fire way to encourage it to happen again, use the correct lube....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CUBEical
    CUBEical Posts: 211
    the correct lube for the ring is a must ................
    I am sorry if I talk to much s@#t it goes with the name.............