thigh irritation/soreness with cycling shorts

bobo696
bobo696 Posts: 57
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Hi there,

I know this thread will sound ridiculous, but it really is annoying. When I cycle with cycling shorts (I only have one pair: Specialized 80% nylon 20% spandex), after a few minutes I start to feel uncomfortable at the thighs. It itches a lot, it feels as if the hairs were pulled out, if you see what I mean

Do you know what that might be my fellow cyclists ?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Are your leg hairs going through the Lycra and getting pulled maybe ?
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Maybe some sort of contact allergy?
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    Shave your legs, sorted!
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • bobo696
    I think I am allergic to spandex... Because if I wear it without underwear it itches everywhere, whereas when I have my boxer underneath only the thighs are affected

Well, if I can't wear clothes with spandex what can I use ? no cotton please this is horrible with the sweat !
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Spandex?
  • bobo696
    spandex = lycra I think
  • lockstock666
    lockstock666 Posts: 131
    I have this trouble - its only a small patch inside my thighs. I think its where most of the movement is happening in the fabric when I'm pedalling, causing it to rub against the skin in this area.

I have also noticed that it is much worse on colder days. I get it in the morning on commute in but do not suffer on the way home once its warmed up a little outside.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    other things to think about: kevlar on saddle, seams on saddle, hard edge to saddle.

i only use saddles with no seams on it. i once had a saddle with kevlar shoulders, i had blisters after a short ride, changed it pretty quick!
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails