Please help! Need help on choosing first road bike

jamin78
jamin78 Posts: 9
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Hi folks!

I'm really sorry to post what I can imagine is a overly posted subject but I am just starting out in road biking and have looked at several bikes and spoke to lots of bike shops and I am now soooo confused I need some advise!

My budget is a max of £700

My first choose was the giant defy 3 which I test road and loved but I have now been sized up for a Trek 1.2 which is also a great bike I also looked at the Raleigh San ravenio 2 (I think) but now see that there are Felt bikes and lots of others to look at!

I will be riding out 2 to 3 times a week to keep fit and join a local club once I have done a few miles!

Again sorry for the boring question but me head is a mess and I just can't decide! All help and advise would be really good!

Thanks

Comments

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Try to ride all of them and go with the one that feels the best. If you still can't decide, then go for the one that looks the best. For a set budget, you aren't going to see huge performance differences between bikes, so go with your heart ;)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • jamin78
    Is it sometimes better to go for a lesser brand to get better equipment?
  • declan1
    It's a good idea to get a better frame to start with, as you can easily upgrade components at a later date. Giant make very good frames - if you like the Defy it may be a good option ;)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• jamin78
    Would you favour the giant over the trek? The trek seems a little over priced for the same level a not so good rubber! What are the Mekk and BeOne bikes like in comparison ?
  • declan1
    I would try to ride both the Giant and the Trek as they're both good bikes - I have a feeling I would like the Trek better as it most likely has a lower headtube to get the bars lower, but that is just down to personal preference.

Mekk bikes get very good reviews. The Poggio 2G gets very good reviews, it's got a carbon frame and a mix of Shimano 105/Tiagra for only £900 - it would be a good idea to perhaps save up a bit longer and get one of those.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    jamin78 wrote:
    Is it sometimes better to go for a lesser brand to get better equipment?

Yes, sometimes, as ever check reviews etc. But for a first bike, having good support from your LBS is probably the most important thing, so I'd avoid buying a bike online until you're more familiar with things.

In general you should go for the best frame you can afford, then you can swap out everything else bit by bit later. (I didn't follow that and I'm doing it backwards in swapping the frame when I already have good components!)

The Trek 1.2 is a good bike, and almost universally given positive reviews, so I would go for that one :)
  • jamin78
    Thanks guys that's a real help I think I'm swaying towards the giant but I also like the fact that you get a full hour fitting with the trek with a pro from the shop and I really don't wanna buy online ad prefer to support local shops or they will dissapear!!
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    jamin78 - I've got a Giant Defy and am very pleased with it. I don't know much about bikes and can't really say whether its better or worse than any other bike, but I have found no faults with it. Many people are saying to make sure you get the best frame you can afford - when I was looking at bikes to buy I read that, in the years where aluminium frames were top-of-the-range ie. before carbon bikes were widely used, Giant were one of, if not 'the' leading manufacturer of aluminium frames, and that was one reason I chose a Giant and their frames are still of that quality. I couldn't afford a carbon framed bike, and have a Giant MTB which i've had no problems with in 2years so I didn't look to much further than Giant.

As others have said though, if there's not a lot to choose from spec-wise between the bikes you're looking at, go with your heart. At the end of the day, its a love affair!! :wink: You'll (hopefully) be spending a lot of time together!!
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • jamin78
    Schoie81- thanks this is all exactly what I wanted to hear you guys are talking from true experience which is what I need! I wa against the plain black if the defy 3 but it is slowly growing as a nice understated model instead of the in your face red, white and black of the trek!
  • Schoie81
    I (personally) wouldn't want the white bike with all the decals, I'm sure some will think mine looks boring, but I think she's beautiful in an understated way. :wink:
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    The defy is a great bike and it,s down to the frame.I have a defy 4 and it is a very good bike.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • jamin78
    The defy was also the first Road Bike I took out for a test this weekend and I must admit i fell in love with it! Maybe the first choise is always the best choice!! :D
  • Schoie81
    jamin78 wrote:
    The defy was also the first Road Bike I took out for a test this weekend and I must admit i fell in love with it! Maybe the first choise is always the best choice!! :D

Sounds like love at first sight to me!! :wink:
  • jamin78
    Ok so we have a spanner in the works!!

Just come across the Ribble Sportive 7005 seems outstanding value and looks amazing!

Any advise would be great

Thanks Guys :D
  • jamin78
    Any one have a bit of advise for me ??
  • hairy_boy
    hairy_boy Posts: 345
    Resale values (on ebay) are always much stronger for the big brands - ie Trek or Giant as thats what people search for when wanting to buy a bike.

More obscure brands will be perceived by the masses as 'cheap' (not saying they are) and therefore do not make as much second hand on ebay.

The Ribble does look good though.

You may be going to keep your bike a long time so it doesn't matter but if you think you may want to sell as you are not using the bike or you get the bug and want a fancier bike so trading up then its worth bearing in mind.

I have a Defy and its a lovely bike so my money would go on the Defy or the Trek - whichever fits best between those two really.

Good luck with your purchase and enjoy !