grip question

ncn
ncn Posts: 123
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
So was out for a good old ride today in the woods and it felt like my hands were cramped up in the space I currently have from the end of my bars to the shifters and brakes.

I was just wondering if there are some grips that still have the double lock but are a bit longer than standard.

Comments

• ncn
    Just been and measured and my current grips are 13cm long but only 10.5cm useable grip area.

Possibly might just be worth moving the shifters and brakes over slightly.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what grip?

and it sounds like your controls are right up to the grip! they should be about an inch away or whatever suites best.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Grips vary in length so check our a few. Would recommend charge griddle or race face half Nelson's as they don't have a lock on both ends making them a bigger grip area than usual.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • ncn
    nicklouse wrote:
    what grip?

and it sounds like your controls are right up to the grip! they should be about an inch away or whatever suites best.

Unsure of the model they are just what came with my core 40, but you are correct the controls are right up to the grip. I shall move them away by an inch and see how I get on as I reckon that may sort it.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ncn
    Awesome thank you for the link to the guide. I guess I just completely neglected the fact I would need to set up that side of things.

Cheers
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends really. My controls are tight up against my grips, but I have liitle girly hands (compensation for a giant obvious I guess) and brake with my middle finger.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    cooldad wrote:
    Depends really. My controls are tight up against my grips

Mine too. I also have small hands, plus shite brakes that need a good two finger squeeze. Moving the levers and/or shifters any further inboard would put them out of reach.
  • ncn
    I have massive gorilla hands haha. I will do some fettling later and hopefully that will give me a bit more room for maneuver.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    When I'm setting up the controls I make sure I can get two fingers in between end of grip and brake clamp (about 1.5")

that's for 1 finger braking with index finger, and elbows out so the angle of my hands on the bars is pointing slightly inwards...works for me
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • andylit
    andylit Posts: 14
    as for grips, i use push on Renthal Grips. put on with a bit of hair spray stay put. as i dont have the lock on collars i have the full length of usable grip.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Renthal push on's here as well, but I use liquid soap to gum them in place.

I use 2 finger (2 middle ones) so only leave about 1/4" between the grip and controls...
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ncn
    Well I moved them over and sat on the bike and tightened them up once they felt comfy. Had a little ride and difference is night and Day. So glad I asked the question even if it did seem like a stupid one :) got to love a quick simple fix.