Which shorts

snowster
snowster Posts: 490
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all after a new pair of shorts question is which one budget no more than £50.00

Comments

• luisdg
    luisdg Posts: 3
    I have these ones http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40476

comfy, pockets, little belt, air vents, dont get soaked through easily and they come with some liner padded shorts too. I am happy with them.
  • snowster
    Any ideal what the sizing is like
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    They are ace shorts.

Sizing is normal. Evans (and millions of other places) stock them if you need to try.
  • snowster
    I have read lots if reviews saying sizing is on the small size and at mo rutland cycles is offering £5.00 of making them 37.99
  • sparky543
    sparky543 Posts: 54
    I bought mine in 2011 and although I'm normally a L or XL in shorts and I had to buy an XXL in these. Front popper wasn't great either and the belt clip flimsy, but they may have improved them since then so as above, go to Evans and try them on. Apart from those little gripes, they are awesome shorts.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I usually take a large but when i tried a large i went to an XL, im a 34/36in waist. Think of it like Superdrys sizing an you cant go wrong
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    The Hummvees are great shorts, Quite heavy but good all year shorts.

They'll take a lot of abuse. Used mine for about a month and a half and they look brand new after a wash.

For the hot days I wear some Endura Firefly shorts. Also very good but thinner material. They don't have a removable liner but I really like them.

If you're lookig for budget shorts look on eBay for some of the More Mile shorts, They're great for the price and waterproof too.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Another vote for Humvees here (and I think their sizing's on the small side too, but a small fits my 29" waist nicely). I have a pair of 3/4 length Humvees and they look good, feel comfy and seem well made and sturdy. Haven't given them any trail testing yet though, 'cos I've been wearing some Avenir Elite MTB shorts which I got for a bargain £25 from Sports Direct. They're excellent for that price - very similar to the shorter length Humvees, similar splash resistant fabric, various pockets, zip vents, stretch panels and a removable inner short that's pretty much identical to my Endura Clickfast 6 panel inner shorts (same Coolmax 300 pad). They're such a brgain that I could've done without the Humvees and spent that £50 on something else, but maybe I'll be glad of the 3/4 length in cooler weather (although I have got a pair of full length Humvees too, which are great, but too warm for summer).
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Again, great shorts, very robust, but they are sized a tad on the small size. I'm 34" waist and need the XL. Length wise, they are perfect, and despite reports to the contrary they're not quite as flappy around the thigh as some.

I'd recommend 'em - I've got two pairs.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Endura Singletracks - but go up a size. 32 waist here but I need a large
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Been wearing Fox Racing Ranger's for AM duties.

Very nice shorts. (available in plenty of colours and patterns)

95665-4.jpg
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    +1 for Fox Ranger shorts. Quite a light material so you don't really notice them and they have a nice cut too. Not too baggy and not too tight also a good removable padded lycra inner short is included too.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Royal SP247 shorts. Better cut than the Hummvees (have both), better material, better crash resistance. Two things that they don't have - a liner, so you'll need some and loads of pockets, but why bother when you have a backpack on?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris