Voodoo Hoodoo. New model. Beware!!

fletch247
fletch247 Posts: 16
edited June 2013 in MTB general
Just been to Halfords in Kidderminster to order the new Hoodoo. Great looking bike.

Problem is the spec of the fork is incorrect on the website. In the general info section it says it has a Suntour Raidon X1 Air suspension fork.

It does not have this fork. Instead it has a Suntour Raidon X3 Coil Suspension fork without the handlebar lockout that the previous model has.

They are asking the same money as the old model as well. No wonder the old model is sold out everywhere.

I shall be looking for something else.

Just thought I should share this with everyone!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What links do you have, says x3 on the Halfords website to me.

Still a decent bike though.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Spec
    Approximate Weight (KG): 14.1kg
    Brake Type: Hydraulic Disc
    Chainset: Shimano FC-M430
    Exact Frame Size: 18"
    Fork Lock-out : Yes
    Fork travel: 120mm
    Forks: Suntour Raidon X3 Coil Suspension fork
    Frame Colour: Red
    Frame Material: Alloy
    Front Brake: Tektro Gemini Hydraulic disc 180mm rotor
    Front Mech: Shimano Alivio FD-M430
    Gear Shifters: Shimano Alivio SL-M430 27spd
    Handle Bars: Riser 31.8mm
    Headset: 1 1/8 Aheadset
    Hubs: Formula 32 hole Q/R disc hub
    Number of Gears: 27
    Rear Brake: Tektro Gemini Hydraulic disc 180mm rotor
    Rear Mech: Shimano Alivio RD-M430
    Rims: Double wall black 32 hole disc rim
    Saddle: VL-3165
    Seatpost: 400mm Alloy 27.2
    Tyre size: 2.25"
    Tyres: Maxxis Ardent 26 x 2.25
    Wheel Size: 26"
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • fletch247
    fletch247 Posts: 16
    I have gone for the Bantu instead. £70 quid cheaper and an air fork. I had a Specialized Hardrock Sport about 3 years ago and the coil fork was awful. Looking at the type of riding I will be doing the Bantu will be more than adequate.

The Hoodoo is a great bike but the same money for what in my eyes is an inferior spec of bike compared to the old model is a bit naughty.

Will Halfords ever learn?!! :?: :?:
  • cooldad
    Where have you been for the last five years? Every manufacturer has done exactly the same.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    The spec has hardly changed, I don't know how Halfords have still managed to pack in so much for so little. Coil forks are smoother than air too.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I prefer coil forks.
  • Woodmonkey
    Woodmonkey Posts: 412
    The remote lockout is a nice gimmick, but I wouldn't let it influence a purchase decision!
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • cooldad
    I also learnt the other day thanks to someone having a dig at me, that Voodoo are not a Halfords bike, unlike Carrera.
    http://voodoocycles.net/
    Halfords are just the distributor in the UK.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Someone had a dig at you CD, tell me who and I'll sort em out, that's my job.........

Oh it was me!

I think the new Hoodoo has been very heavily despecced, in fact it look's worse specced than the 2011 Bantu.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    In that case please poke yourself in the eye with a sharp stick.
    Thank you.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Woodmonkey
    cooldad wrote:
    I also learnt the other day thanks to someone having a dig at me, that Voodoo are not a Halfords bike, unlike Carrera.
    Think this is a slightly grey ( or gray) area as voodoo bikes in the states don't sell built bikes just frames, and are different, for example the hoodoo is a steel frame. So the voodoo we know are only available through halfords. I suspect they are designed by voodoo then manufactured and sold under licence by halfords. So in some respects it is a halfords bike
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • Woodmonkey
    I don't really understand the thinking behind lowering the spec, the bike has had really good reviews, gets recommended as the best entry level bike again and again. I understand that costs have risen but an entry level bike with a decent air fork was the strap line of many reviews! Why not just sell it at the £600 list price instead of discounting it all the time?

voodoo hoodoo
  • The Rookie
    Woodmonkey wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Think this is a slightly grey ( or gray) area as voodoo bikes in the states don't sell built bikes just frames, and are different, for example the hoodoo is a steel frame. So the voodoo we know are only available through halfords. I suspect they are designed by voodoo then manufactured and sold under licence by halfords. So in some respects it is a halfords bike
    The European distributors all appear to sell the same Voodoo's as Halfords....

Spec chages across the Atlantic for the same named bike is hardly new!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    You tell 'em.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Halfords is one of the two UK agents, and models having the same name and different specs in different contries is nothing new even different frame materials and wheel sizes. It all comes down to what the Importer asks for. and even then the specs can and do change during production as parts sometimes are not available.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    Quick spec check of the
    2013 Hoodoo/2011 Bantu
    Forks Raidon coil/Raidon air
    Brake Tek Gemnin/Shimano M445
    Shifters Alivio/Alivio
    FD Alivio/Altus
    RD Alivio/Acera
    Wheels Formula/Formula (identical)
    Gearing 3x9/3x8
    Stem/bars/seatpost and saddle all the same.

Hoodoo looks a step (or 3) backwards from what it was!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Worse brakes but better drivetrain, otherwise much of a muchness?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • supersonic
    The tektro Gemini brakes are very good mind. Certainly better than the Aurigas.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    That sounds promising, i was always impressed with the Aurigas.
  • houston26
    houston26 Posts: 115
    The tektro geminis on my hoodoo are a pain in the arse, much preferred the shimanos on my old Bantu

The 2011 Bantu was higher spec but it was higher price, basically they swapped the Bantu name for hoodoo

Also the x3 air fork has broke on my old Bantu and 2 work mates bikes, keep a close eye on it keeping pressure, mine sounded like it was full of water when the oil seals went pop, free upgrade to a hoodoo was nice tho
  • The Rookie
    houston26 wrote:
    The 2011 Bantu was higher spec but it was higher price, basically they swapped the Bantu name for hoodoo
    Eh, the Bantu has always been below the Hoodoo in the pecking order.
  • houston26
    houston26 Posts: 115
    houston26 wrote:
    Eh, the Bantu has always been below the Hoodoo in the pecking order.

The 2010-11 Bantu cost over 600 quid, not sure if there actually was a hoodoo in the uk that year? Just saying the Bantu wasn't always a base model