It's not about the bike!

garethjohn
garethjohn Posts: 165
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Been off the bike since last autumn following an incident and felt pretty handy on the bike back then. Went out for my first ride in a while today and my legs went after about 20 miles! This has never happened before and had to ride the last 5 miles home in the granny gear. Basically my legs have totally gone and no bike mods (upgraded to dura ace etc) are going to help me. Time to get back on it and ride.

Comments

• Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    thats pretty disheartening but you know when you stick with it you'll see big improvements in a short space of time. I'd treat myself to some new wheels just to cheer myself up. And maybe a carbon bottle cage.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hey, look on the bright side...........no need to spend any money on lovely Dura Ace then :roll:

Sorry to seem unsympathetic, but why come back to cycling and moan about nice bikes?
    Did you think Dura Ace etc. made all the difference before then?

Not sure what spec your bike is, but why not go the other way and downgrade if you think its so not about the bike!

Its cycling, its all about the bike :shock:
    But seriously, am not sure why people mix the two things. It's not one or the other, its both.

Work towards the day that you are fit again and making your new Dura Ace groupset earn its keep :wink:
  • garethjohn
    Carbonator wrote:
    Hey, look on the bright side...........no need to spend any money on lovely Dura Ace then :roll:

Sorry to seem unsympathetic, but why come back to cycling and moan about nice bikes?
    Did you think Dura Ace etc. made all the difference before then?

Not sure what spec your bike is, but why not go the other way and downgrade if you think its so not about the bike!

Its cycling, its all about the bike :shock:
    But seriously, am not sure why people mix the two things. It's not one or the other, its both.

Work towards the day that you are fit again and making your new Dura Ace groupset earn its keep :wink:

Exactly when did I 'moan' about nice bikes? I merely made a statement that my legs have gone and no level of gear is going to help. Having been knocked off the bike last autumn I've not been cycling since. As it happens I shelled out for the new group off this forum, partly for motivation but also vanity. Yesterday was a reality check for me and now it's time to get back to it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Oops :oops: Sorry, just re read your post and guess I got the wrong end of the stick a bit.
  • garethjohn
    Carbonator wrote:
    Oops :oops: Sorry, just re read your post and guess I got the wrong end of the stick a bit.

No problemo!
    Sprool wrote:
    thats pretty disheartening but you know when you stick with it you'll see big improvements in a short space of time. I'd treat myself to some new wheels just to cheer myself up. And maybe a carbon bottle cage.

Maybe a nice new saddle cos man my bits ache, gone all soft again (you know what I mean)! :?
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I can't imagine being off the bike that long, I've come on a 1 week holiday with my wife and Mother and my wife begged me to take the bike as she hates me when I get withdrawal symptoms. :shock:

It'll soon return and with that Dura Ace you'll be flying and that granny ring can gather dust again until winter training camp in the alps next year! :wink:

Welcome back.